Cut the tip of my finger off with skill saw

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

GWY52
Bronze Member

Cut the tip of my finger off with skill saw

Post by GWY52 »

I got careless and cut the end of my finger off with a skill saw. Told my grandson I'm not sure I can play my guitar now, he said you never could play the guitar grandpa. Good point. I'm usually very carefull except for this one time. Just wanted to post to remind everyone how dangerous our hobby is and to be carefull. I was going to upload pictures but the file size is too large, besides they are a bit graphic so it's probably best I keep them to myself anyway.
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Cut the tip of my finger off with skill saw

Post by reible »

GWY52 wrote:I got careless and cut the end of my finger off with a skill saw. Told my grandson I'm not sure I can play my guitar now, he said you never could play the guitar grandpa. Good point. I'm usually very carefull except for this one time. Just wanted to post to remind everyone how dangerous our hobby is and to be carefull. I was going to upload pictures but the file size is too large, besides they are a bit graphic so it's probably best I keep them to myself anyway.
OUCH!

Sorry to hear your news. And yes it is a good reminder to always be safe no matter what tool you are using.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

GWY52 wrote:I got careless and cut the end of my finger off with a skill saw. Told my grandson I'm not sure I can play my guitar now, he said you never could play the guitar grandpa. Good point. I'm usually very carefull except for this one time. Just wanted to post to remind everyone how dangerous our hobby is and to be carefull. I was going to upload pictures but the file size is too large, besides they are a bit graphic so it's probably best I keep them to myself anyway.

How did it happen?
GWY52
Bronze Member

Post by GWY52 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:

How did it happen?
Replacing some bad wood on my boat floor. I needed one more small piece for a filler and instead of putting the board being cut down on a flat surface I held onto it and wasn't paying attention to where my finger was in relation to the underside of the board. Lesson learned, fingers and saw blades (sharp objects) do not play well together and never get in a hurry when using power tools. A stupid mistake that will not be duplicated.
GWY52
Bronze Member

Post by GWY52 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:

How did it happen?
Replacing some bad wood on my boat floor. I needed one more small piece for a filler and instead of putting the board being cut down on a flat surface I held onto it and wasn't paying attention to where my finger was in relation to the underside of the board. Lesson learned, fingers and saw blades (sharp objects) do not play well together and never get in a hurry when using power tools. A stupid mistake that will not be duplicated.
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

don't feel too bad it happens, glad you didn't cut off the whole finger...I once nail gunned a piece of wood to my thump...lol...holding a corner by hand the nail gun nail hit a knot or something and made a ninety degree turn in the wood, came out right into my thump. Sat there for a few minutes looking it over wood with my thump against it and small nail coming out, fortunately missed any bone or the thump nail just meat..strange...didn't hurt a bit, probably because it was so fast, but the trim piece was nailed to my thump no doubts was mulling over what to do...emerg room visit...call ambulance...etc...decided since I was already taking some antibiotics for a lung infection..I was good infection wise, just needed to figure out the best way to get that wood off my thump...lol...ended up just pulling it off...man that is when the pain hit, was fine until then ... then it hurt like hell...put a band aid on it and went about my business...should have took a picture, not every day you nail a piece of wood to your thump. So lesson learned I don't hold corners like that anymore, I use clamps then nail it...I suspect you will do the same regarding holding onto pieces while cutting...live and learn
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Please clarify!!!

Did you nail the wood to your thumb or your rump? :D

Ouch either way!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

JPG wrote:Please clarify!!!

Did you nail the wood to your thumb or your rump? :D

Ouch either way!
lmao......sorry senior moment...thumb, left thumb to be exact...the rump was during my time in Navy when I sat on a hot rivot...but that is whole other story
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

GoNavy wrote:don't feel too bad it happens, glad you didn't cut off the whole finger...I once nail gunned a piece of wood to my thump...lol...holding a corner by hand the nail gun nail hit a knot or something and made a ninety degree turn in the wood, came out right into my thump. Sat there for a few minutes looking it over wood with my thump against it and small nail coming out, fortunately missed any bone or the thump nail just meat..strange...didn't hurt a bit, probably because it was so fast, but the trim piece was nailed to my thump no doubts was mulling over what to do...emerg room visit...call ambulance...etc...decided since I was already taking some antibiotics for a lung infection..I was good infection wise, just needed to figure out the best way to get that wood off my thump...lol...ended up just pulling it off...man that is when the pain hit, was fine until then ... then it hurt like hell...put a band aid on it and went about my business...should have took a picture, not every day you nail a piece of wood to your thump. So lesson learned I don't hold corners like that anymore, I use clamps then nail it...I suspect you will do the same regarding holding onto pieces while cutting...live and learn
Wow! I hired a buddy who was a contractor to do some work I could not get too. I was sitting in my office when he came in. He said, “ come here I need your help”, and he started walking to the job site. I followed and when we got there he turned and showed me his left arm. It had a 3 inch construction nail sticking out his wrist. He wanted me to pull it out. I refused! Told him there was too many things that could wrong, like if the nail was through an artery. Told him I would take him to hospital. No way! He got mad and yanked the nail out. Apparently he was nailing up some framing and the gun either went off on his arm or the nail rickocheted he was too embarrssed to tell me exactly what happened. After he got the nail out he went pale and I finally convinced him to take the rest of the day off, he still refused to go to the hospital. Next day he was back at work. Though he did favor his left arm.
MCee232
Bronze Member

Post by MCee232 »

GWY52 wrote:Told my grandson I'm not sure I can play my guitar now, he said you never could play the guitar grandpa.
smart kid!

great to hear you finding the humor in it... hope it's mending well enough :)