Introducing ER#38615

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jstaley
Bronze Member

Introducing ER#38615

Post by jstaley »

I recently inherited my grandfather's ShopSmith ER SN#38615 and thought I would post pictures. It looks like other than a new drive belt to be in really good shape. I was wondering if there was a good chart anywhere listing out the ages by serial number?

It looks like it needs a v-drive belt (4L380) and was wondering if anyone knew if tractor supply or a local chain would carry those. If not can probably order online somewhere.

I am awaiting approval for the Yahoo 10ER group so if the data is there just point me in the right direction.

I do general woodworking and blacksmithing so I plan to make this a dedicated drill press and maybe an occasional lathe. I do not plan to use the tablesaw at all (I want to get a safer, larger cabinet saw like a SawStop) but it did have the Jigsaw attachment so might play with that.

Cross-posting from my reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/shopsmith/comm ... h_er38615/

reible
Platinum Member

Re: Introducing ER#38615

Post by reible »

Hi,

Happened to check the linked pictures and noticed the discussion about adding SPT like the bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and strip sander and the answers given are not correct. You will have to buy an adapter but then you are good to go with most shopsmith add-ons.

Take a look here:

http://www.mkctools.com/10erparts.htm

For the adapter and other good stuff.

The serial number puts it in 1950, perhaps later in the year??

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jstaley
Bronze Member

Post by jstaley »

reible wrote: Happened to check the linked pictures and noticed the discussion about adding SPT like the bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, and strip sander and the answers given are not correct. You will have to buy an adapter but then you are good to go with most shopsmith add-ons.
Not sure what you mean here? Are you meaning the other Reddit post/threads? If so I didn't ask any of those questions so no worries.

Thanks for the link to that MKCTools site. I just stumbled across the 10ER page that had a link to that. Also downloaded the info from the Google Drive someone else posted. Tons of great info. Looking forward to getting in that Yahoo group too.Looks like decades of post and hopefully good info.

It's great to know that was in the 50's. I love the fact that it is over 60 years old. I love old tools and bringing them back to life. This ShopSmith has been kept well but I don't think anyone in the family has run it since my grandfather passed away in 1993. Hoping the belt is all it really needs then I can start working with it.

First project on the list is to make some 2x4 lumber racks.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Welcome to the Forum.

Belts can be found at auto supply stores and online. I have purchased them both ways. I restore Shopsmiths as a hobby and I recommend you check the power cord to see if it is brittle and cracking. I replace the power cords on all my restorations. Original power cords at over 65 years old are usually well past their prime. Check to see how well the bearings are turning. With the belt off spin the pulleys to see if the motor and the drive shafts turn freely. You can remove the quill to check it separately from the drive shaft. If they do not turn freely they will put more work on the motor. Not a good thing. :( The motor, drive shaft and quill each have two bearings.

Feel free to ask any questions you come up with.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
jstaley
Bronze Member

Post by jstaley »

Thanks for the info on the belts. I will check that power cord first thing after I get the belt replaced. The end seems to have been replaced at some point in the past so it may be in decent shape but will give it a good inspection.

Does anyone have a good lubrication chart and/or what type of oil to use on it? The quill in the headstock seems to move with ease and has a very light skim of oil on it.
I recently inherited my grandfather's ShopSmith ER
I found out from my dad he kept my grandfather's Mark V ShopSmith and gave me his which he had acquired some years back. Not totally bummed by that since I know I will get grandpa's Mark V someday :) and this one was in better condition than grandpa's. But it does explain why there seems to be decent movement out of the quill and headstock. This one has certainly been used in the past 5 years or so.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jstaley wrote:Thanks for the info on the belts. I will check that power cord first thing after I get the belt replaced. The end seems to have been replaced at some point in the past so it may be in decent shape but will give it a good inspection.

Does anyone have a good lubrication chart and/or what type of oil to use on it? The quill in the headstock seems to move with ease and has a very light skim of oil on it.
I recently inherited my grandfather's ShopSmith ER
I found out from my dad he kept my grandfather's Mark V ShopSmith and gave me his which he had acquired some years back. Not totally bummed by that since I know I will get grandpa's Mark V someday :) and this one was in better condition than grandpa's. But it does explain why there seems to be decent movement out of the quill and headstock. This one has certainly been used in the past 5 years or so.

"Oil" bad. "JPW" good.

Johnson's original paste wax.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jstaley
Bronze Member

Post by jstaley »

I am not sure what it is, so it could be JPW. What does JPW look like when it is coated?

Do you use JPW on the quill and the rails or just the quill/headstock?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jstaley wrote:I am not sure what it is, so it could be JPW. What does JPW look like when it is coated?

Do you use JPW on the quill and the rails or just the quill/headstock?

Think shoe polish.* Shiney but does not rub off.

Use on anything that rusts, slides etc..

* Carnuba wax.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jstaley
Bronze Member

Post by jstaley »

Ahhh I see. Thanks for that. Would not have known to look for that.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPW

Everett
JPW.png
JPW.png (594.8 KiB) Viewed 19630 times