Foxfire problems with add-in extensions

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Foxfire problems with add-in extensions

Post by reible »

Sometime on 5/3/19 you may have noticed that things like your adblocker, amazon assistant, and more stopped working.

Not sure when the more universal fix will show up but there is a way to get things back to working if it is still not fixed by the time you read this.

You can check to see whether you have "studies" enabled by heading to Options > Privacy and looking for the Allow Firefox to install and run studies option. Just check the box if it is not already. Soon you will see this show up in the about:studies

"hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973•Active
This is a hotfix that updates an intermediate certificate used for signing add-ons. It is one of the mechanisms used to fix bug 1548973."

Later after they get a real fix working you can disable this again if that is what you want.

I have done this some hours ago and it seems to all be working again just like before this happened.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Foxfire problems with add-in extensions

Post by garys »

Also, you can type
about:config
in the browser URL window
Then, find

xpinstall.signatures.required

Change the value from true to false

When the fix comes out, you can change it back to true if the fix works.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Sometime on 5/3/19 you may have noticed that things like your adblocker, amazon assistant, and more stopped working.

Not sure when the more universal fix will show up but there is a way to get things back to working if it is still not fixed by the time you read this.

You can check to see whether you have "studies" enabled by heading to Options > Privacy and looking for the Allow Firefox to install and run studies option. Just check the box if it is not already. Soon you will see this show up in the about:studies

"hotfix-update-xpi-signing-intermediate-bug-1548973•Active
This is a hotfix that updates an intermediate certificate used for signing add-ons. It is one of the mechanisms used to fix bug 1548973."

Later after they get a real fix working you can disable this again if that is what you want.

I have done this some hours ago and it seems to all be working again just like before this happened.

Ed
Yes, that fix could take up to 6 hours according to Mozilla. I am out of town so the lap top is only on for a short time so no fix yet. I will be home tomorrow so the computer will be on long enough for the fix to download. One thing I can say is that Mozilla was on it within hours of when it happened.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

When I did mine it took less then a half hour for it to come in. Time will very but it doesn't happen instantly.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:When I did mine it took less then a half hour for it to come in. Time will very but it doesn't happen instantly.

Ed
Well, I have been the hotel room now for close to 3 hours and no update. Probably because it is not a secure connection.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

My laptop has been online for 2-3 hours and still has not updated. My desktop got the update within 10 seconds of me enabling the studies. Like everthing on computers, it is erratic at best.
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I didn't want to deal with it last night, but after I enabled studies a few minutes ago, it's fixed.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I am back home now on my network and an update to FF downloaded as soon as I started it. All is fixed.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Apparently I have been missing out on all the fun?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Apparently I have been missing out on all the fun?
Mozilla said it didn't effect everyone, just most. I guess you live in a chosen place. :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT