New owner 2007 SS 510... and intro

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigDanS
Silver Member

New owner 2007 SS 510... and intro

Post by BigDanS »

Hello all. My name is Dan, I live in Portland Oregon, and I just purchased a pristine Model 510, 17 years old, it was owned by a commercial aviation pilot and looks new. I just moved it into my garage / shop and I am sorting it out. I have some shelf projects I need to start on, so I need to setup the table saw and learn it. I think I should start by indexing everything to to get it straight / square? The move to my shop might have knocked some things out of alignment. I am interested in how you all store your equipment. It came with the band saw, but I need to buy a set of gouges, I want a planer / joiner, and perhaps a larger lathe jaw. I have not used a lathe before, so I have some learning to do...
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: New owner 2007 SS 510... and intro

Post by wa2crk »

Don't adjust anything at this time. Just check everything and you should be good to go. Welcome to the forum and the madness. Go through the owners manual and the set up of the various functions to familiarize yourself with the machine.
Come back here if you can't figure things out and we will get you on the right track.
Bill V
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Welcome to the forum.

As a "Quick Check" for table to blade alignment I use a couple pieces of wood. One piece has been milled to fit snugly in the miter track. The other is ripped a short way (as shown). After ripping this, TURN OFF THE SAW and flip the just cut piece end for end and check to see that the block slides easily into the blade on the outfeed side.
Initial Cut
Initial Cut
Cal Block 1.png (139.01 KiB) Viewed 16873 times
Verification Check
Verification Check
Cal Block 2.png (95.99 KiB) Viewed 16873 times
With my set up, the left edge of the cut will be 3 1/2" from the right side of the Calc Block when the quill is fully retracted. This dimension will vary depending on how you have done your table to blade alignment and how your quill is set. When I perform a complete table alignment, I strive for this consistency.

Incidentally, that blade face will be on the center line between the two miter tracks.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

After just 2 or 3 days, I get to relinquish the title of "the new guy" woo :)

Welcome - I have spent about a week going thru the general calibrations, table adjustments, etc outlined in the manuals and it has really improved my base confidence and terminology understanding in using this cool tool !

It also helps to decipher what folks are offering out here on the forum.

good luck !
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum and the world of Shopsmith. If your Mark V came with the Owners Manual I recommend reading through it to learn the operation and maintenance of your new to you tool. If it came with the self study guide you can go through the exercises to learn and use the functions. Lastly if it came with the book Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone that will show more uses for the Shopsmith. The most important advice I can give you is follow the maintenance needs of the machine. Proper lubrication in the headstock and waxing the parts will keep your Shopsmith running for many, many years to come. Follow this with proper safety practices.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

If it did not come with those manuals, Shopsmith can sell you copies however they provide some excellent resources absolutely free.

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/introduction.htm is where the Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone most current release for Mark 510 and up are used for illustrations.

There are free Summary Manuals for the Mark V 500 / 510 / 520 / and Mark 7 manuals (brief useful setup information) available in PDF from Shopsmith at https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_start ... anuals.htm

And I have a good bit of free information at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

The larger files too big to post on the forums are under the red My Google Drive link on that page.

As others have said; "Welcome to the family!"

Kindest Regards,

Everett
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

The traditional saw arbor that comes with a Mark V (500) or Mark V 505, 510, 520 or Mark 7 uses a blade with 1 1/4” hole. There is a physical difference in the 500 and the later that have to do with the size of the larger worktables and the offset each needs. You certainly can buy excellent blades from Shopsmith in this size.

They are aware that most 10” saw blades are standardized around a 5/8” size hole for other products.

They also make arbors for 5/8” holes, and once again there is a 500 version and a later version for bigger tables with a different offset. Both have the beef to help stabilize the rotating blade and make cuts cleaner.

They are:
555608 5/8" Saw Blade Arbor (for MARK 7 and MARK V Models 520,510 and 505) ... $31.99
555321 5/8" Saw Blade Arbor (for MARK V Model 500) ... $31.99
Arbors.png
Arbors.png (112.3 KiB) Viewed 16717 times
Like most I have some special 5/8” blades that I move from my Shopsmith to my Miter Saw from time to time.

Having the proper 5/8” arbor will save you when you have to have a new thin kerf blade for a special project and need to buy locally, today.

Everett