Lathe Safety Shield

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sehast
Gold Member

Lathe Safety Shield

Post by sehast »

Does anyone have the Shopsmith Lathe Safety Shield that they just put on sale? If so, how do you like it? How does it attach to the headstock? I have been looking for something like this but it still looks pricey even on sale.
jdonovan
Gold Member

Re: Lathe Safety Shield

Post by jdonovan »

It uses the same mounting system as the light, the mounting bracket mounts to the carraige. See installation instructions.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... 845538.pdf
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Thanks for the info. That is what it looked like in the picture but the description indicated it was attached to the headstock. How do you like it?
jdonovan
Gold Member

Post by jdonovan »

Don't have it, but the discounted price has me thinking about ordering one.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Ordered one. I have a Mag Switch that it would mount on, and I can use it on my midi lathe also.
Bill V
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

I finally decided to order one as well. It is a lot bigger than most other shields I have seen.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have one and love using it! It is well worth the money!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have really been wanting to get back to more turning, I've not done any recently. In the past I just grabbed a pair of safety glasses and sometimes a dust mask. More recently I have been paying a lot more attention to dust collection and lathe turning can be a literal fountain of fine dust up toward your face. Such a shield isn't likely to stop a flying timber :) nor the general cloud of fine dust but it could stop any number of small flying bits and it could do a lot to at least maybe redirect the fine stuff to where it might be sucked into a DC. I don't really worry about the stuff that falls to the floor but I do have serious concerns about the "smokey" looking dust that hangs in the air.
I have been thinking a slightly different direction though. I have been planning a floor stand to hold both a good sized plexiglass shield and a 4" DC hose. the reason to put it on a floor stand for my use is so I can hopefully use it with any number of machines.
I have an antique IV stand that I was thinking about using. It has a very heavy cast iron base but easy rolling casters. I have used it for years at various locations to hold work lights for hard to see locations.
I also have several of those multi-jointed drafting lamps that I no longer use and was thinking of using a couple of those, maybe even a third to use as an actual work light. I picked them up at garage sales, usually for about a buck or two. One heavy one has little lock knobs so you can lock into position.
Now I'm off to the magical world of about 2 acres of grass mowing I didn't get to earlier this week, tearing down and building three new horse fences, cutting an open drainage ditch about 150' long and plowing a couple of garden plots...
The fellow that rents much of my crop ground is probably out in his barn lot doing a "Please don't rain for a while" dance. :rolleyes:
It's been a tough spring for a lot of folks across the country...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I have mine and bought an extra mounting foot. I can use it on my Delta Midi lathe or on the Shopsmith. The most annoying aspect is the static build up. Can't seem to get rid of it.
Bill V
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

wa2crk wrote:I have mine and bought an extra mounting foot. I can use it on my Delta Midi lathe or on the Shopsmith. The most annoying aspect is the static build up. Can't seem to get rid of it.
Bill V
If you can't get a grounding solution that works for the shield....Another option might be fabric softener. I don't know if this would work or not on the shield, but I hear that mixing water with liquid fabric softener helps with dissipating static charge. I don't know if this would leave a streak on the shield though or cause any problems, but just a thought.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor