Cost of Living Adjustment

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Cost of Living Adjustment

Post by reible »

For those of you who get them from SS or other it was nice to see a decent one this year. Well it didn't last long for us. In the last 4 months we have seen several adjustments to what we play for things like supplemental medical, drug program and other things. With the advent of this month and the addition of a $5 more per month for internet we have now gotten to even. Any additional expensive will put us in negative ground.

For others that track that sort of thing, how are you doing?

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Cost of Living Adjustment

Post by jsburger »

Nothing has changed here. Medicare is the same, our Tricare for life supplement is free and we get our drugs from the base pharmacy which is free. The cost of living raises last year were great. Between SS (my wife dosen't get SS), my military retirement and both of our Civil Service retirements we got a total cost of living raise of just over $200 a month.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

No major changes here, either. Well, our vehicle insurances went down by $109 a year. That's a small change.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I think that every retiree should plan on your spendable income dropping each year. The cost of living increases can't be expected to keep up with the real cost of living. Prices will increase faster than retiree income like it always has.

That is why everybody should have a nice IRA, 401k, CDs, and other investments to take up the slack. Our parents taught us to put some money in savings each month, and if we did, it will help us now and in the future.

Today, the mentality is different. People spend whatever they earn, and then spend more using credit cards. I have even heard people today say, "Put it on the credit card, we can pay it off when we are old." Watch and see what happens to them in 20 or 30 years.
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Take a look at Wallet Hub's rankings by state: It is pretty dismal even in the best states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-leas ... ates/3337/
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

db5 wrote:Take a look at Wallet Hub's rankings by state: It is pretty dismal even in the best states.

Where and how do they collect their data? I know many people no longer do “banking” they do not have savings accounts, stocks, bonds or etc. but yet they can buy and sell most of us. Then there is the bitcoin arena, very shaky but people have tons of money invested in them.

Many people buy and sell precious metals, land, properties and etc. also more and more people are locking down their credit reports so there is no way to tell what and who they owe. Frankly anyone that accurately reveal their financial status to such surveys are idiots, that info is nobody's business. And can be often be used to harm you.

So I ask where and how do they collect their data? Personally I never fill out financial surveys, never list my income, never reveal my financial picture to anyone.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
db5 wrote:Take a look at Wallet Hub's rankings by state: It is pretty dismal even in the best states.

Where and how do they collect their data? I know many people no longer do “banking” they do not have savings accounts, stocks, bonds or etc. but yet they can buy and sell most of us. Then there is the bitcoin arena, very shaky but people have tons of money invested in them.

Many people buy and sell precious metals, land, properties and etc. also more and more people are locking down their credit reports so there is no way to tell what and who they owe. Frankly anyone that accurately reveal their financial status to such surveys are idiots, that info is nobody's business. And can be often be used to harm you.

So I ask where and how do they collect their data? Personally I never fill out financial surveys, never list my income, never reveal my financial picture to anyone.
I'm sorry Ed but I doubt that your financial data is as secure as you seem to think. If you own anything that gets titled, if you owe any financial institute or if you draw periodic monies (ie, social security, retirement, annuities) there is revealing data available. It may not all be in one place but a little bit here and a little bit from there and the next thing you have is a complete history file.

A few minutes at a computer with an MIS expert could change your mind about security.

Just Google a few things like birthdate/place, address, telephone number. license plate number, birth date, graduation date, matriculation data, etc and compile all of what you see. We have no secrets anymore. If you ever had a security clearance...look at the documentation that was provided to get that clearance.

OR

Let beenverified.com do the search for you.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:

I'm sorry Ed but I doubt that your financial data is as secure as you seem to think. If you own anything that gets titled, if you owe any financial institute or if you draw periodic monies (ie, social security, retirement, annuities) there is revealing data available. It may not all be in one place but a little bit here and a little bit from there and the next thing you have is a complete history file.

A few minutes at a computer with an MIS expert could change your mind about security.

Just Google a few things like birthdate/place, address, telephone number. license plate number, birth date, graduation date, matriculation data, etc and compile all of what you see. We have no secrets anymore. If you ever had a security clearance...look at the documentation that was provided to get that clearance.

OR

Dusty I agree with you on how our data is all over the place, but I do Try not to make it easy. Example if someone comes to me and wants to survey me on my financial planning, financial picture or my retirement plans I would never give them truthful answers. Thus leads me to the question how does the cited site collect the data they say they have?

Dusty I never search myself on the internet, each search adds to the hit count the higher the hit count the higher.the chance of people stumbling onto it. Never do banking online, never fill out anything that asks income, financial picture or any personal info. NEVER DO CREDIT SCORE CHECK!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
dusty wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:

OR

Dusty I agree with you on how our data is all over the place, but I do Try not to make it easy. Example if someone comes to me and wants to survey me on my financial planning, financial picture or my retirement plans I would never give them truthful answers. Thus leads me to the question how does the cited site collect the data they say they have?

Dusty I never search myself on the internet, each search adds to the hit count the higher the hit count the higher.the chance of people stumbling onto it. Never do banking online, never fill out anything that asks income, financial picture or any personal info. NEVER DO CREDIT SCORE CHECK!
I guess that is good and if it makes you feel more secure with the information that is available about you and your finances - it is good. But without looking around, you may be missing information that should be corrected or removed completely - like credit reports. I keep by credit reports locked unless I know that someone will be doing credit checks - like when we bought the house.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:
dusty wrote:

OR

I guess that is good and if it makes you feel more secure with the information that is available about you and your finances - it is good. But without looking around, you may be missing information that should be corrected or removed completely - like credit reports. I keep by credit reports locked unless I know that someone will be doing credit checks - like when we bought the house.
Again I agree but I still believe this sites cited data may or may not be very accurate. I suspect it was done to cause people to reach out to this site for help.