anybody else get this stuff

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

anybody else get this stuff

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Y'all
I got a phone call from "Microsoft" telling me that Microsoft had been hacked and I should not do anymore banking or other credit card transactions until I called them back on the provided number. Sounds like another phishing scam to me but I wonder who else may have received a similar call.
Bill V
garys
Platinum Member

Re: anybody else get this stuff

Post by garys »

It is a scam like all the other ones. I haven't had that one yet, but I get plenty of other Microsoft scam phone calls.
I don't own or use anything Microsoft, so I don't care.
Just ignore them. They won't go away, but if you ignore them, they can't mess with your computer.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Phone calls and emails like those are simply ignored. I never respond but, even so, our Amazon account got hacked a few weeks ago. What a mess that was. Had to change every pass word and cancel three credit cards and, two bank cards. Gotta give Amazon credit, though. They are the ones that alerted us. We use credit cards for nearly all purchases over $50. So, it was cash only for a couple weeks. Couldn't even use an ATM. No money lost, though.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

I haven't had that one yet.

I regularly get scam calls and emails. If I do not know the number calling me I do not answer it. I dislike "Robo" calls too. According to one scam call which left a message I am wanted and going to be arrested by the "Local Cops" if I do not contact them. This call shows up as coming from Idaho. I have not been in Idaho in over 20 years. SCAM.

The good news is some of them get caught. Yesterday a bust was made here on a group tricking people into sending them gift cards, then buying Apple products to be shipped out of the country and sold. Score one for the good guys.

My wife is an Assistant Manager at a Credit Union and it is sad how often they have to try and stop members from trying to send money to scammers. Even sadder is the ones that still insist on doing it out of fear of the made up threat the scammer used.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
twistsol
Gold Member

Post by twistsol »

It would be nice if the scammers were a bit more creative. I frequently get calls from "Microsoft Support" lettinng me know my Windows License has expired. Too bad I'm a Mac user and both Microsoft and Windows are irrelevant in my world.
Thanks much,

Chris Phelps
Cheap tools are too expensive
2x Mark 5 520 and a 10ER
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likewise, they tell me that my Windows computer is compromised or my Windows license has expired. I have nothing Microsoft.
Or, they tell me that my Icloud account has been hacked. I don't have an I cloud account.
Then, the simpleton calls me and tells me that he is my grandson and got arrested in Texas and needs money for bail. My Grandson is in kindergarten so know he isn't in jail in Texas.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

I am like Russ. I don't answer any call if I don't recognize the number. If they really are legitimate and want to talk to me they can leave a voice mail and I will call them back. I get 3 or 4 robo calls a month. My wife gets 3 or 4 a week. I have no idea why that is except she used to answer most of them a few years ago. Maybe now her number is on a hit list. As far as where caller ID says where they came from, that is totally a lie. The scammers have the ability to spoof the ID. Most of the calls I get are from the same area code as me and the same number prefix as me. I guess the scammers think that if it is a local number you will answer it.

No legitimate company is going to cold call you and ask for personal information, threaten with arrest, ask for gift cards (good grief) or anything else like that. Microsoft has no interest in your personal computer being infected and helping you to fix it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

Nobody from my local exchange would be calling me on my home phone except people and businesses in my phone's contact list, and nobody has my cell number, again except those in my contact list. So I just don't answer any call that doesn't come up as a recognized name. Most of the robocalls that aren't stopped by Nomorobo are neighbor-spoofs.

As for Microsoft, if they got hacked, do you think they'd make personal calls to all 1.5 billion Windows users? They'd need 40,000 operators making 100 calls a day for a year! And the IRS doesn't call people - they send letters - certified, if it's something serious. Nor does anyone call to tell you there's a warrant out for your arrest - that's the local police or sherriff's job.

There are some funny YouTube videos of people stringing the Microsoft scammers along and screwing up their computers (that's not something you should ever attempt yourself unless you're an IT pro).
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

As luck would have it, 30 minutes ago, I got a robo call from the "Microsoft Refund dept." According to the caller id, it came from Arlington VA. I heard 4 or 5 words before disconnecting.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I regularly get calls from Microsoft telling me my email is in the process of be discontinued unless I call them. I also get calls informing me that a company (not named) has gone out of business and there are funds to be rebated but they need me to return this call.

I just learned this week that it is unlawful for the phone company to block robocalls unless the customer specifically requested that the calling number be blocked. There has been a congressional committee appointed to look into it. Our Government at work.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.