Mark V DVD Collection

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sfwood
Silver Member

Mark V DVD Collection

Post by sfwood »

So, received my first Shopsmith marketing e-mail. I guess I belong now. :--) Apparently my life will not be complete without the official "Mark V DVD Collection", rather enthusiastically priced at $108 on special. Are these DVD's worthwhile for a SS newb, or is everything on there available elsewhere with a little digging? http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DV325
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: Mark V DVD Collection

Post by bainin »

I don't have a full set, but i did receive the PowerPro upgrade one and the calibration alignment one. Both are informative, unfortunately the video quality is low so many times I am frustrated that I cant see exaclty what is being pointed out.

Have a look at the video quality in the Sawdust sessions, this is similar to what I have on these 2 dvds.

regards
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

bainin wrote:I don't have a full set, but i did receive the PowerPro upgrade one and the calibration alignment one. Both are informative, unfortunately the video quality is low so many times I am frustrated that I cant see exaclty what is being pointed out.

Have a look at the video quality in the Sawdust sessions, this is similar to what I have on these 2 dvds.

regards

One thing to remember is that the Sawdust sessions were made a LONG time ago before cell phones and high quality video without a production studio.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Don't know what all the CDs cover. However, quite a few, if not all the Sawdust Sessions with Nick Engler are available on YouTube.
sfwood
Silver Member

Post by sfwood »

bainin wrote:. . unfortunately the video quality is low . .
Jiminy, you're not kidding. What is that, VGA quality?! Pretty spendy for that quality--seems like Shopsmith would be better served building the brand by making the videos freely available on-line. And what's with that guy? Why can't he ever find anything? Think I'll stick with youtube for now. Thanks all.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

sfwood wrote:
bainin wrote:. . unfortunately the video quality is low . .
Jiminy, you're not kidding. What is that, VGA quality?! Pretty spendy for that quality--seems like Shopsmith would be better served building the brand by making the videos freely available on-line. And what's with that guy? Why can't he ever find anything? Think I'll stick with youtube for now. Thanks all.
I wish I had 1/10 as much knowledge as 'that guy'!

Yes VGA quote reasonable considering the vintage.

Yes too much dinero!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I agree the video quality is not good, but I purchased them a while back just to have. Sure, some content is online in places like YouTube, but there is NO guarantee that videos will remain online forever. Any channel creator on YouTube can pull a video at anytime. I think it comes down to what value at what cost for each individual. For me it was worth it, but if someone else wants it and really can't afford it they can try to find the appropriate video on YouTube and there are tools to copy that video down to your local computer. I'd recommend doing this, if you really want to keep it. Similarly, I absolutely can NOT see enough value in the PowerPro for me at $2k, but if it were more like $1k, then I could stomach it. Other members think I am crazy and that $2k for a PowerPro is money well spent. Similar arguments can be made pro vs. con for the 520 table system upgrade, the "new" PTWFE book, etc.

My guess is these were recorded on a VHS type camcorder at the time, so the source material is NOT going to improve (only 240 scan lines), i.e. they can't remaster these and improve it. Unless someone else is going to re-record them and star in them, this is as good as you are going to get. Any volunteers to be the next Nick Engler??? Perhaps Mr. Gale could be willing...that canoe movie was top notch!
:)
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
sfwood
Silver Member

Post by sfwood »

JPG wrote:I wish I had 1/10 as much knowledge as 'that guy'!
Oh, absolutely--Nick clearly has a lot of great knowledge to share. Just think it's funny to see him constantly looking for things. (Reminds me of me.)