value of used mark v

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Pillsnpwd
Bronze Member

value of used mark v

Post by Pillsnpwd »

Hello not sure were these posts end up but im trying. I am looking at a 1992 Mark V 510 in slightly used condition, but has been idal for a while, years. Some rust on ways and setting out side under a tarp about a year. I has table saw, Band saw, gig saw, lathe parts not sure what, factory stand with wheels, at least... What would you give for it??? He says $500 but Im not sure... Are working accessories worth much on cregslist? Thanks Reed... Pillsnpwd user name... :) :)
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: value of used mark v

Post by thunderbirdbat »

That sounds like a reasonable price. The SPT's (band saw and jig saw) can sell individually for $100 - $250 depending on where you are. If you have not already done so, read through the sticky post Shopsmith Large Format drawings in the Maintenance and Repair section. Be sure to look at the Buying a Used Shopsmith guide that can be found on the My Google Drive link. Welcome to the forum.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You don't say where you live and that dictates price much more than anything else. Around here, you couldn't buy one like that for $1000. It would fetch at least $1500.
If you live in a part of the country where there are large numbers of Shopsmiths for sale and they sell cheap, then you can get it much cheaper than if you live where few of them are available.
Pillsnpwd
Bronze Member

Post by Pillsnpwd »

Thanks for the reply. Im thinking I really should grab it. We’re in south central Alaska
Pillsnpwd
Bronze Member

Post by Pillsnpwd »

My google drive link❓❓. Is that the one with the iron something passssword that doesn’t work ❓❓. Help. Thanks
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

The link is in the first post of the Shopsmith Large Format Drawings topic under the Maintenance and Repair section.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 16113.html
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

If you have not purchased it yet or even if you have look inside the headstock by removing the two screws holding on the belt cover. Since it was stored outside under a tarp it is important to look at the motor and other headstock components. First look for rust on the inside of the belt cover. This will be a good indicator of rust problems inside the headstock. Use a flashlight to view the rest of the parts inside the headstock for rust. Can you plug it in and run it? With it running you can try the speed control. Does it move up and down the speed range easily or is it difficult to turn? Remember NEVER turn the speed control without the motor running. There is an exception but that is done for maintenance and the parts must be turned by hand. These are things talked about in the guide Buying A Used Shopsmith. Even if there are some problems they can be corrected with a little TLC or some rehab.

I restored this Mark 5 Greenie which had a rusted quill and other problems. This is the before picture.
Before - CL ad picture
Before - CL ad picture
3.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 50426 times
This is the after picture.
After restoration
After restoration
IMG_0220r.jpg (238.59 KiB) Viewed 50426 times
I spent almost $500.00 restoring this Mark 5 Greenie. This included replacing missing parts it came with when originally purchased. When finished it not only looked like new but ran like new also.

If you spend even a couple hundred dollars restoring the Shopsmith you are looking at it is a good value in my opinion and you will have a nice running machine you can use for years to come.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
russell1957
Bronze Member

Post by russell1957 »

Did you powder coat of paint when you restored your Greenie? I've got three ShopSmiths; a Greenie 1955, a 1995 510, and a older model Mark V that doesn't have a inspection plate on the back. The 510 is in exceptional condition, the Greenie did run excellent until the belt broke, the the unknown one lags a little during startup. I figure I'll restore the Greenie first.
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

That Greenie is painted in Rustoleum Hammered Finish Verde Green and Silver paint. It is the closest match to the original Hammered Finished paint that was used on them without having a custom color made.

If you can post some picture of your unknown Mark V we may be able to identify around when it was made.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
russell1957
Bronze Member

Post by russell1957 »

Will do. I took a few pics once I got it home.