power station

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

power station

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I found the manual on the power station and have read several post on the forum and it doesnt seem to have the ratings one would believe , can any one give me any advice on operation the different spt's and what seems to work the best ? My goal is to use it for a jig saw , possible a scroll saw and band saw ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Dansmith
Gold Member

Re: power station

Post by Dansmith »

If you are referring to the speed ranges for the various attachments for the Power Station, those are usually stated in the manual for the particular attachment, if I recall correctly. I currently have my bandsaw on the Power Station; but, I also have had my strip sander on it as well.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:I found the manual on the power station and have read several post on the forum and it doesnt seem to have the ratings one would believe , can any one give me any advice on operation the different spt's and what seems to work the best ? My goal is to use it for a jig saw , possible a scroll saw and band saw ?
Are you asking about speed settings for the various spt's when used on the Power Station or are you asking about the Power Stations ability to provide power?

Either way, the Power Station works fine for everything except the Jointer. I can't speak for the Planer but I suspect it is equally inadequate for that.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

+1 on what Dusty said.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thanks that answers my question !
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I cannot imagine HOW a planer would even mount on the power station. :confused:

+1 everything else said. :cool:

However the jointer is like routing, the speed is slow so slow feed rates are required. Other than that jointing works fine.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

The manual says you can use a Jointer on the Power Station but as JPG said slow speed, slow feed. You cannot use the Mark Mount Planer on the Power Station since it mounts differently than other SPT's. The speed range for the Power Station is 850 to 3850 RPM. I have two of them and I keep my Scroll Saw on one.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

One note: The power station has two SPT mounts. One is for stuff that connects to the upper shaft on the ss and another that is for stuff that connects to the lower idler shaft on the ss. However the output shaft(there is only one that matters here) speed range is as stated above. i.e. no matter which mount is used, the SPT connects to the single output shaft).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

One of the articles I read showed a drum sander on the outer facing shaft , having not read the manual yet is there something else that mounts there or that can be used there ?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The Power Station was designed/intended to be used with Shopsmith SPT. Except for what I consider to be under powered/under speed for the Jointer it is compatible to (guess what) Shopsmith spts.

Since you have the manual you should have all of the instructions and speed charts.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.