Dealing with Twist

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Dealing with Twist

Post by Hobbyman2 »

jointer ?or use a hand or electric hand plane ? reference line on each side using a straight edge and square , ya probably don't need to take off that much ? then use the planer ? just a thought
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

garys wrote:If you have enough thickness of wood to plane them until they are perfectly straight, my only other option seems to be to use them as firewood.
A planer will not straighten a twisted piece of stock. That is unless you mean a hand plane. The proper power tool to flatten a board is a jointer. Then run it through a planer to get two parallel faces of the proper thickness.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

jsburger wrote:
garys wrote:If you have enough thickness of wood to plane them until they are perfectly straight, my only other option seems to be to use them as firewood.
A planer will not straighten a twisted piece of stock. That is unless you mean a hand plane. The proper power tool to flatten a board is a jointer. Then run it through a planer to get two parallel faces of the proper thickness.

==========

+1

only question I may have is,,, what provisions can you make to stop it from reoccurring over time ?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:
jsburger wrote:

==========

+1

only question I may have is,,, what provisions can you make to stop it from reoccurring over time ?
Probably nothing. Quarter sawn is the best answer and works very well. It was made by God and mother nature does what she wants. Man continues to challenge mother nature and eventually always looses.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

LOL true ,, but sometimes,,,, losing isn't all ways a bad thing , it comes with a learning curve ?