Thread locker on DC3300 Dust collector fan to motor bolt?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SJErick1972
Silver Member

Thread locker on DC3300 Dust collector fan to motor bolt?

Post by SJErick1972 »

I recently was cleaning my DC3300 I got second hand. It ran well. However, it was blowing wood chips out the rear exhaust. I replaced all the seals and decided to blow out the motor good. I tried to remove the bolt that holds the fan onto the motor shaft, and it sheared off to my amazement . The part that broke off indicates it is right handed threads. So, I am puzzled why it broke off. Does anyone recall if this bolt was installed with thread locker?
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Thread locker on DC3300 Dust collector fan to motor bolt?

Post by JPG »

How did you apply sufficient torque to break it?

I do not think thread locker is typical.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SJErick1972
Silver Member

Post by SJErick1972 »

The dust collector seals had worn so I decided to clean it out good. I was just loosening the bolt and it managed to shear off.....rather disappointed that it did. Basically it looks like the dust collect is junk now.

Looking for a motor for it.....was disappointed the motor said made in Mexico...so much for the made in america shopsmith.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Are you sure the bolt that holds on the blower fan is right hand thread? It might be hard to tell without looking at it up close under a magnifying glass or microscope. It has been a bit since I stripped mine apart and cleaned it out and re-sealed it, but I believe the fan spins CCW in the DC3300, which would necessitate a left hand thread. If you want to drill out and tap the part that broke off in the motor shaft you could order a replacement bolt if the fan is still in good shape. It might not be worth your time and effort though. A lot of woodworkers go for the Harbor Freight dust collector. With the coupon (20 or 25% on holidays), I think you can get this dust collector for around $160. Might be an alternative for you.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:How did you apply sufficient torque to break it?

Mine sheared of soon after I started using it new. I THINK it had red thread locker on it. You should be able to drill it and use an easy out to replace the bolt.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

beeg wrote:
JPG wrote:How did you apply sufficient torque to break it?

Mine sheared of soon after I started using it new. I THINK it had red thread locker on it. You should be able to drill it and use an easy out to replace the bolt.
Well, if you shared the bolt an easy out won't do anything but instantly strip out. Red Loctite is semi permanent. It requires heat of 250ºC (482ºF) to release.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

I don't recall if I took the fan off when I cleaned and replaced seals on mine or not, or if there was thread locker.

From the Parts Diagram and Parts List, it appears to be a 1/4-20 x 1" hex head bolt. No mention of left or right hand thread. Before I would call it junk I would definitely try drilling it out, even if you have to go up one size for a new tapped hole, or fill hole with steel rod or bolt and JB Weld and drill and tap a new 1/4-20 hole.
Attachments
Shopsmith DC3300 dust_collector02-300dpi.pdf
(733.76 KiB) Downloaded 2977 times
Shopsmith DC3300 dust_collector03.pdf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 3000 times
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

SJErick1972,
Just curious if you were able to repair your fan or not. Also came across a used DC3300 on Craigslist for a low price ($80) in Raleigh, N.C., and that made me think that buying another used one might be another option for you, either for parts or as a complete replacement. You might want to add your location to your profile, so others can maybe help you out with questions like yours.
SJErick1972
Silver Member

Post by SJErick1972 »

br549,

I did indeed buy that dust collector as it was a good deal. Not sure if I will mess with the old one.The the first one seems and the new one both want to accumulate saw dust in the motor. That is why I took off the fan for those wondering. However, this one came with 2 dust hoods which was a good deal. Thanks for the heads up!

I will try to drill her out when time comes. Right now I want to get cutting wood again :)
Last edited by SJErick1972 on Wed May 13, 2020 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The motor compartment seals may be damaged/missing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange