Maxi clamp used

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Maxi clamp used

Post by moggymatt »

Dont find I use my maxi clamps often, but they solved this set up with ease. The 6 inch faceplate is still attached to the underside, thus the need to elevate. For those that dont recognized them, the silver knob holding down the wood with the clamps is the quick release knob from the maxi clamp system.
Maxi clamp image 1.jpg
Maxi clamp image 1.jpg (155.62 KiB) Viewed 28911 times
Maxi clamp image 2.jpg
Maxi clamp image 2.jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 28911 times
Paul B
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: Maxi clamp used

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I love the Shopsmith T-nuts! I don’t have the Maxi-Clamp system, so I usually use 1/4-20 screws/rod and knobs (from Ace) for stuff like that. Most of my T-nuts have the outboard holes tapped 1/4-20, although those holes are blank on some that I salvaged from a rust-bucket OPR.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I love the Shopsmith T-nuts! I don’t have the Maxi-Clamp system, so I usually use 1/4-20 screws/rod and knobs (from Ace) for stuff like that. Most of my T-nuts have the outboard holes tapped 1/4-20, although those holes are blank on some that I salvaged from a rust-bucket OPR.
Correct size for a 1/4-20 tap?

Looks like an index wheel being made. How is it going to be mounted?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

JPG wrote: Looks like an index wheel being made. How is it going to be mounted?
I've become amazed with rose engines and ornamental turning so I'm making a wooden prototype based around the double bearing quill. Its going well so far. The indexing wheel and a couple more and the headstock portion will be done.
Once its satisfactory, I'll build another more accurate one. This one is close but not close enough but it's an excellent learning exercise.
Paul B
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

moggymatt wrote:
JPG wrote: Looks like an index wheel being made. How is it going to be mounted?
I've become amazed with rose engines and ornamental turning so I'm making a wooden prototype based around the double bearing quill. Its going well so far. The indexing wheel and a couple more and the headstock portion will be done.
Once its satisfactory, I'll build another more accurate one. This one is close but not close enough but it's an excellent learning exercise.
Oooh, sounds interesting. :cool:

If you haven't run across it already, Eddie Castelin has plans available, he calls his Lathezilla.
http://eddiecastelin.com/combos_and_other_items

And a couple of videos of his in action.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a8nLqRoyg4[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNXE1P99-Y[/youtube]
Last edited by rpd on Mon May 27, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I like his channel, he's quite the character and actually give some good advise.
Paul B
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you don't have the clamping system or lost the knobs fear not you can buy them here:

https://www.rockler.com/quick-release-5 ... dZEALw_wcB

Other places I'm sure also sell them it is just that I have purchased some here and found them to be pretty nice. They are very useful for a lot of things and having them in several sizes is nice.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:If you don't have the clamping system or lost the knobs fear not you can buy them here:

https://www.rockler.com/quick-release-5 ... dZEALw_wcB

Other places I'm sure also sell them it is just that I have purchased some here and found them to be pretty nice. They are very useful for a lot of things and having them in several sizes is nice.

Ed
Ace hardware has them as does full up True Value hardware stores.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I didn't know those were made anywhere else. I've never seen them in any of my area Ace stores.
Paul B
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Must be a location thing as my couple of Ace stores don't carry them, guy couldn't find them in catalog so maybe they call them something else. No longer have T V hardware's local to check with....

Rockler has been running a 15% off sale and free shipping after $35 for a while but you have to get the offer code from them.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]