Attachment runout

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

moggymatt
Platinum Member

Attachment runout

Post by moggymatt »

General question on attachment runout.
My arbor has zero runout. That's fantastic.
My 6" cast faceplate had .001 to
002, set screw loose or tight, and its diameter is rough. That's fantastic.

My Oneway scroll chuck has about the same, .001 to .002, along its widest diameter. Love it. But that's with the set screw loose. Tighten the set screw and the runout almost doubles.

My Nova scroll chuck, on an adapter that extends the chuck further than the Oneway, has less than .001 runout when the set screw is loose, but .003 - .005 runout when the set screw is tightened

Never occurred to me to even check until my current project.

Anybody else ever check or get similar results?
Paul B
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Attachment runout

Post by Hobbyman2 »

up until I replaced my quill I had major issues , especially when applying cutting pressure .
since then everything seems to be ok , as far as chucks go I only have the one barracuda chuck , it appears to be with in .001 - .002 , my thoughts are it has to have some give so the quill shaft will slide in, then when ya tighten down the set screw it shows the difference ? JMO I could be wrong ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

There has to be some clearance (a few thou?) in the bore of the chuck so it slides on easily. When you tighten the set screw it pulls the chuck to one side by 1/2 the clearance. You also don't know the accuracy of the diameter your measuring the run out on.

I certainly would not loose any sleep over it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Adapters are are always suspect for creating runout. One or two thousandths is no big deal but .005" is kind of a lot. I would take a close look at the adapter and maybe consider replacing it if you can't reliably get at least .003" runout.