Need help w new purchase of an old 10e w major prob

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Need help w new purchase of an old 10e w major prob

Post by JPG »

Y'all needed Gixen! :)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Post by chapmanruss »

Don't worry about having missed that auction. Headstocks come up often for sale from parted out Model 10's and since they rarely get damaged they are not a popular item for purchase. If you are near one of the ebay sellers that sell Model 10 parts you could try contacting one of them to see if they have a headstock available that you could pick up and avoid shipping. You do not say where you are but if you are in the northwest I have an extra version 3 headstock and I am near Portland OR. Remember you will want one with a lower serial number that uses double wedge quill and way tube locks to be able to use your current parts.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
UncleBob71
Silver Member

Post by UncleBob71 »

Well for a week I was the only bidder. And at the very last min I was outbid. I'm sure it was the owner w a fake account preventing me from stealing his headstock for less that $40.00 Haha. Oh well mine still works it just looks stupid w jb weld on the top of the case.
UncleBob71
Silver Member

Post by UncleBob71 »

Well it looks like patients paid off for me this this time. I just won a Ebay bid for a complete 10er head stock and I'm not going to need to swap out the quill or shaft. Thank you all who contributed to my questions. I didnt realize buying an old antique shop smith would be this interesting. But I'm glad to find this community and this thread. Thank you all once again. Btw I also have the original s
S manual, and the original accessory catalogs and the jigsaw Manuel's I got from the original owners grandson when I bought it off "offer up" if anyone interested.
UncleBob71
Silver Member

Post by UncleBob71 »

So the new headstock I got off Ebay is an 10er w sn 23417. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what yr this one was built. I know its newer than my 10e but I'm sure it's still older than me haha.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

UncleBob71 wrote:So the new headstock I got off Ebay is an 10er w sn 23417. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what yr this one was built. I know its newer than my 10e but I'm sure it's still older than me haha.
Some time in 1950, probably spring.

I have #23430, older than me too, but only by a couple of years.

It is a bit special as it is part of a run made for demonstrators to use and has a second logo plate on the back (customer) side. I am curious if yours has the second name plate also, as they are so close together. :)

Please post pictures, we love pictures. :D

This is mine, this one is my dedicated drill press.
drill press.jpg
drill press.jpg (287.21 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
And the back side showing the second logo plate.
drillpresslogo.jpg
drillpresslogo.jpg (159.54 KiB) Viewed 11075 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,