Repairing Model 510 Castings, A Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Repairing Model 510 Castings, A Question

Post by dusty »

I have a set of 510 castings that have been countersunk every where that Shopsmith would have used a pan head.

I want to use these for my Adjustable Height Work Bench and preserve the ones I have there now (seen in a couple recent posts).

My Question: Will JB Welb be an appropriate filler for these countersinks? I will need to redrill in order to install the legs. I am "considering" drilling the new holes offset from the existing ones.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Repairing Model 510 Castings, A Question

Post by JPG »

IIWM, I would first try screws with washer heads. The extra od will hopefully span the current csink od. If so I do not think much is gained by using the jb-weld.

Why the non-use of flat head screws???

I am assuming end castings. If not, what ones?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Search for cone washer and see if that won’t help you avoid filling the countersunk holes altogether

Everett
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't like the appearance of the flathead screws in the countersunk holes. Furthermore, the countersinks in the castings (IMO) reduce the integrity of the material and I fear breakout when under stress. The countersinks were drilled too deep when they were done (I did not do these).

Don't know what I am going to do...but something. I will look into cone washers, Everett. Never heard of them before.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Do an image search on cone washers and also do an image search on trim washers.
You could also just use regular pan head screws (or even hex bolts) with flat washers but get both of them in chrome plate. It might make it look faster... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4-in ... nt/4756539

Not sure if jb-weld will greatly increase the the strength.

Which castings are relevant?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG"]https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4-in ... nt/4756539

Not sure if jb-weld will greatly increase the the strength.

Which castings are relevant?[/quote]

Those to which the legs are attached.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

dusty wrote:I don't like the appearance of the flathead screws in the countersunk holes. Furthermore, the countersinks in the castings (IMO) reduce the integrity of the material and I fear breakout when under stress. The countersinks were drilled too deep when they were done (I did not do these).

Don't know what I am going to do...but something. I will look into cone washers, Everett. Never heard of them before.
Cone washers can if proper size, fill the bevel and with a suitable fender washer allow a Pan Head screw to work. Yours apparently is now overly deep and too much metal was removed. I heard this once on a machine that a fellow bought the chrome screws on eBay. They were over-sized, requiring him to deepen the countersink depth. I never saw how it turned out.

Alternatively if you have or you know someone with a MIG welder with a spool gun, or a TIG you could fill the holes, then drill new ones as needed. If they over-drilled the holes cone washers will not add the strength you likely need in the casting as they just fill the countersink.

The graphic below represents what I was originally referring to by using the cone to fill the over-size hole with a pan head screw.

Everett
Cone Washers.png
Cone Washers.png (161.44 KiB) Viewed 19431 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks for the advise; however, I choose to do it my way.

It is too early to say that it works. It is even too early to say that I am done but a couple holes are nearly ready for paint. Just some prep work remaining.

I learned a couple things. Mix well and don't over fill. Also, JB Weld is self leveling.
20190609_044510.jpg
20190609_044510.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 19369 times
20190609_044538.jpg
20190609_044538.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 19369 times
20190609_044713.jpg
20190609_044713.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 19369 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

What does the inside look like? ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝