Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SaShepherd
Bronze Member

Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Post by SaShepherd »

Hello all,

I need help identifying a used machine I am interested in purchasing. The owner tells me it is an original Mark V from the early 80's. He didn't know model 500 or 510 etc and I couldn't find any serial numbers on the headstock. The unit comes with the smaller table and only one extension table which suggests to me that it is a model 500. My confusion is this: the headstock has the large red "safety" switch to power on the unit, not the simple on off toggle I see on images of older headstocks. This leads me to suspect that it is a newer model 510 headstock, maybe even a newer 1991 "C" headstock? The owner also had two different fences, one of them having the top T-slot indicative of a model 510. I am thinking the headstock is not original to the machine. He also has the current miter gauge with the squeeze stock gripper which I thought only came with post 1985 machines?

Any help is appreciated!
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Post by thunderbirdbat »

It is possible for the headstock or just the headstock casting to have been replaced by a previous owner. Only having a main table and one smaller extension table means it could be a 500 or a 505 (510 rail system without the floating tables and legs). The rails on the table will determine what model the SS is currently configured as. My son purchased a used 1982 (IIRC) SS that had had the headstock casting replaced by a previous owner for some reason (I believe it had a crack). All the internal parts were from the original headstock. At some point his was upgraded to a 510 which he has upgraded to a 520. Just by looking at it without knowing the serial number or history, it would look like it could have been made in 2002 instead of 1982.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
SaShepherd
Bronze Member

Post by SaShepherd »

Thanks for your response. How can I tell if it is a 510 rail system vs 500? I wish I had taken pictures to post here but didn't think of it at the time.

Ok I just found a section with detailed images of the 500 table. It's definitely a 500 table system but I still don't understand the headstock having the large red switch if it is a machine from the early 80's.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

SaShepherd wrote:Thanks for your response. How can I tell if it is a 510 rail system vs 500? I wish I had taken pictures to post here but didn't think of it at the time.
The 510 has round tube rails. The 500 has cast in or bolt on (later versions) "L" shaped rails.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
SaShepherd
Bronze Member

Post by SaShepherd »

jsburger wrote:
SaShepherd wrote:Thanks for your response. How can I tell if it is a 510 rail system vs 500? I wish I had taken pictures to post here but didn't think of it at the time.
The 510 has round tube rails. The 500 has cast in or bolt on (later versions) "L" shaped rails.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a 500. But still trying to figure out the headstock. Does it really matter if the headstock was built before or after 1985 when the model 510 was introduced? Is there any difference to HP etc?
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

SaShepherd wrote:
jsburger wrote:
Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a 500. But still trying to figure out the headstock. Does it really matter if the headstock was built before or after 1985 when the model 510 was introduced? Is there any difference to HP etc?

The only real difference is the original MK 5 motor is 3/4 HP. The later MK V's are 1 1/8HP. You will have to look at the motor. Since you have the newer switch it seems that the head stock was replaced at some time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Ok I just found a section with detailed images of the 500 table. It's definitely a 500 table system but I still don't understand the headstock having the large red switch if it is a machine from the early 80's.
Like the one my son got it probably had a problem with it and the headstock casting was replaced. It is common for the headstock casting to break if someone over-tightens the screw that holds the idler shaft in place, similar to in the picture.
20180704_114342_opt.jpg
20180704_114342_opt.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 21248 times
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The headstock motor has been the same since the early 60's Mark 5.

The headstock vintage matters not. A later version is a plus.

The '500' is the same as a late Mark 5.

There is a '500' rip fence upgrade that includes the top t-slot.

A 505 is the same as a 510 but without the floating tables and connecting tubes etc..

The miter gauge pistol grip goes all the way back to the 50's.

Pix would help! I think you have a Mark V 500 with an upgraded rip fence and a newer headstock. If it is indeed a "C" (red switch) headstock, it should also have the two bearing quill.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

JPG wrote:. If it is indeed a "C" (red switch) headstock, it should also have the two bearing quill.
That is only true if they replaced the entire headstock and not just the headstock casting. My son has the "C" headstock casting and a single bearing quill.
Brenda

1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thunderbirdbat wrote:
JPG wrote:. If it is indeed a "C" (red switch) headstock, it should also have the two bearing quill.
That is only true if they replaced the entire headstock and not just the headstock casting. My son has the "C" headstock casting and a single bearing quill.
YEP! I assumed an entire headstock replacement rather than a headstock casting replacement. Who knows what the history is.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange