couplers

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

couplers

Post by farley »

a few years ago I made a "shorty". It was my belt sander and disc sander station.

couple of weeks ago I changed it up to a belt sander and band saw station.

Well I made the "shorty" too short to do this with conventional couplers.

I found a 3d printer file out there for a shorter coupler.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2882846

I printed it at a makerspace I below to:

https://www.xerocraft.org/index.php

then I used a "lovejoy" coupler for the other side since I needed it so small.

I realize that the safety of the coupler from SS is not duplicated here, but I feel comfortable with the smooth running of the SS.
Attachments
ss coupler.jpg
ss coupler.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 23397 times
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: couplers

Post by Hobbyman2 »

so what density plastic did you use ? I assume there are multiple hardness and tinsel strength plastics ?
My nephew has a 3d printer and seems to think he can print me off a longer coupler ? I am just not sure it would be safe ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

I used PLA, but I know nothing about it.
On thursday I'll be going in to the club and I'll read the label and report back.
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Not to intrude too much of my opinion :o , but if you have the opportunity, you might consider using one of the nylon filaments. The extruder needs to be run at a hotter temperature and the base needs to be much warmer than when using most other filaments, but the pieces are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than PLA, especially when subjected to blows and torque.
I’ve been printing most things using PLA through my local library and their print tech is not yet comfortable attempting other filaments. The pluses and minuses of PLA and ABS are easily found on YouTube and I am finding that for most things I design, one or the other is acceptable, though not optimal.
I won’t get my 3D printer until October or later (or maybe at all :eek: ) as I invested in a Kickstarter campaign for a delta model printer (IVI if anyone is curious).
If because of your clubs requirements, you must use only PLA, be certain that the fill is %100!
The above is just my 2 cents, but as I delve more into 3D printing and CNC carving to augment my woodworking addiction, I find that “constructive hobbies” seem to require more planning and forethought when integrating the plastics of 3D prints.
As an “older than dirt” old fart, I’m getting more adventurous in what I want to design and build (too old for a midlife crisis, so I have no good idea, other than significant added chances at living life :p ). But I’m also trying to become better educated and prepared, since “winging it” seems to have less and less appeal.
If you want a great 10 minute tutorial on filaments, search YouTube for a filament comparison from Matterhackers. There are a few others, but the changes in filaments changes constantly as different companies make new compounds.
Again, I apologize if I intruded too much, but the idea of a coupler exploding at 4000 rpm is not my idea of fun.

Be well,
Ben
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Thats good information and food for thought
Thanks Ben, and I agree a exploding coupler isn't something want at all !!
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

thanks all for the feedback.

I am thinking it would be fairly easier to fabricate a shield that hooks on the back of the band saw to cover the coupler...just in case.

j
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

Another alternative material that is easyish to print and is stronger than PLA is PETG. Strength is similar to ABS, it is a bit more flexible than either PLA or ABS, doesn't need as hot a bed as ABS, nor as hot an extruder or bed as nylon. You might have to resize in the diameter dimension slighly if shrinkage is too much. I've used PETG on a few projects. It is famous for leaving spider-web size strings when it crosses open space, but those are easy to clean and don't matter for an item such as this that is utilitarian in nature.

There is some basic info on common filaments here: https://all3dp.com/1/3d-printer-filamen ... -filament/
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

I had no idea there were so many options .
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

Our printer use:
PLA 1.75mm