Shopsmith location question

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

james1726
Silver Member

Shopsmith location question

Post by james1726 »

I have a small (12 x 20) shop and i'm wondering about lay-out. I'm limited on space so I was asking the best way to turn the shopsmith and not have to re-position for longer boards.

I have it on the long side of the shop now but that limits the length of anything I can rip.

Any Ideas?
Attachments
20190605_135410.jpg
20190605_135410.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 23443 times
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith location question

Post by chapmanruss »

The great thing about your Shopsmith is it is on wheels so it can be positioned anywhere in your shop to allow for the space needed to do the job at hand.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chapmanruss wrote:The great thing about your Shopsmith is it is on wheels so it can be positioned anywhere in your shop to allow for the space needed to do the job at hand.
+1
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
james1726
Silver Member

Post by james1726 »

Excellent Point !
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

mine is setup along a wall for short board functions and to generally stay out of the way.

i turn it 90 degrees to the long wall when i need space for ripping.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

I have a small, rather narrow shop too, and I typically reposition the Smith according to the job. I get a lot of mileage out of setting it up diagonally to the room to take advantage of the longer corner-to-corner dimension. But sometimes you just have to drag it outside.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

rule of thumb is cut length then joint and plane and then cut to width ? at times I have had to open the garage door ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Hobbyman2 wrote:rule of thumb is cut length then joint and plane and then cut to width ? at times I have had to open the garage door ?

+1
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Hobbyman2 wrote:rule of thumb is cut length then joint and plane and then cut to width ? at times I have had to open the garage door ?
I usually cut to length plus an inch or two so that after I joint the piece I can then go back and square the end cuts to the jointed or reference edge.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

thunderbirdbat wrote:
I usually cut to length plus an inch or two so that after I joint the piece I can then go back and square the end cuts to the jointed or reference edge.
THAT would be a better 'rule'. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange