SS Wood Used In Making Jigs

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JethrowClampett
Bronze Member

SS Wood Used In Making Jigs

Post by JethrowClampett »

I received a jig from SS. I'm curious what kind of wood SS uses in making the various jigs they sell ? I plan on making custom jigs and I like the wood they use. Please let me know the species.

Jethrow Clampett
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: SS Wood Used In Making Jigs

Post by JPG »

For jigs, I would be more concerned re grain than species.

At one time(a long time ago) I suspected cherry, but now think just about any straight grained hardwood is acceptable.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Any wood works well, but my favorite is maple. It has a fine grain with no voids so you end up with a very solid jig.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:For jigs, I would be more concerned re grain than species.

At one time(a long time ago) I suspected cherry, but now think just about any straight grained hardwood is acceptable.
I use hard Maple for all my jigs. If SS has their jigs made over seas (China) who knows what the wood is.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I have a couple of shopsmith jigs but they use different woods, yes hardwood but species vary.

For your own jigs you can use almost any wood depending on the function you are looking for. Certain woods work better then others but especially for jigs that are expendable why waste money and resources on "good" wood?

Also think Baltic plywood for jigs. Especially ones you plan to keep and want to have stay stable. This is especially useful for larger jigs.

A good starting point on jigs can be found in the Shopsmith bible "Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone".

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]