Where to purchase parts?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Winginsue
Silver Member

Where to purchase parts?

Post by Winginsue »

Hi all. So, I am loving my new (used) Mark V model 510. I did discovered the outfeed assembly on my rip fence is broken. Where do you recommend purchasing parts? I'm concerned about purchasing from ShopSmith. I ordered a couple of parts several weeks ago. Wound up fibding them locally after two weeks of no news, so tried calling to cancel. I've not heard from them at allb neither about the oder nor cancelling even though I left messages andsent emails.

Has anyone else purchased from them online with any luck? Are there other outlets to purchase from?

Thanks
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Where to purchase parts?

Post by everettdavis »

Depending on what you need and if the part is the same as the current Shopsmith company, opposed to previous owners of the “Companies Shopsmith” over the last 72 years (Yes 72 years) you may be able to buy it from Shopsmith as some parts are the same, some upgraded assemblies can interchange / upgrade / convert what you have now opposed to what was made later.

Read a document titled Buying a Used Shopsmith V2 that appears under the My Google Drive Link under post In Maintenance and Repair Forum titled Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More”

It’s on the main page under My Google Drive link.

Next find the folder titled Bearings under that link.
In it find “Shopsmith Bearings Guide”

In it you will find the family tree of the models with extensive material to help you determine what you believe you have allowing for previous owners and 3rd Party conversions that may be present. Some approved by OEM and some perhaps not as folks found ways to do their own repairs and modifications through the decades.

There a a number of folks who rebuild Shopsmith (including Shopsmith)

One fellow Jacob Anderson has selected parts and services available outside of Shopsmith. Most interestingly he has a series of FREE YouTube videos you most certainly will find informative. There’s an active link to his site you can click inside the Shopsmith Bearings Guide. You can Google Jacob Anderson and the Word Shopsmith and find it as well.

Bandsaw Tire Warehouse on eBay has a store that has some parts.

eBay has a lot of folks selling “Stuff for Shopsmith” but that “Stuff” may not fit Your Stuff so it’s vital to read those two documents on My Google Drive link to learn what you have vs what someone just intends to sell you.

There is a Shopsmith Owner’s Group and a Shopsmith Sales Group on Facebook (Independent of Shopsmith themselves)

Forum members are willing to help but your own research in knowing what you have and need to do is an essential first action.

Start here and work forward.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690

Kindest Regards,
Everett L. Davis
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Post by thunderbirdbat »

Shopsmith should have all the parts for a 510 that you may need. Most of the advertising and sales pitch is geared towards the MK 7 DVR motor but they still list the MK V 510 and 520 units for sale.
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Winginsue wrote: Has anyone else purchased from them online with any luck? Are there other outlets to purchase from?

Thanks
If you ordered in the past few weeks, I would say give Shopsmith a little bit of a break because I know they were hit with a massive tornado a couple of weeks ago, so this may delay shipping a bit. Having said this, I have been quite vocal on this forum in the past few months regarding my trials and tribulations with online orders from Shopsmith. First, know that Shopsmith WILL take care of you. It does require either multiple phone calls and/or emails, but if you continue to chip away at it, like a tenacious woodpecker, you WILL get responses from them and they WILL take care of you. I know this is not how customer service is supposed to be in 2019, but on the flip-side these are machines designed many, many decades ago and we should all be grateful that they are still supported and we can actually still get NEW parts for them. IF you are not getting responses from either email or phone calls, I highly recommend checking out the "Shopsmith Customer Service" user group on Facebook. While I am not a fan of FB, I have observed several members getting quick replies from Shopsmith when customer service has fallen through the cracks, on the rare occasion, if you highlight it there. One other point to be aware of, is that if Shopsmith doesn't have a part in stock, which is often, then they will put your order on backorder....but they don't tell you!!! At least that has been the case with me. So, you have to call them and get ahold of someone that can check this for you. Some items will ship in 1-2 weeks while certain "special" items can take 4 months or more for fulfillment. I NEVER get emails from Shopsmith indicating an order has shipped, so I had to constantly check the website with my order number to see if it has shipped and to get a tracking number. Some members DO get shipping emails, but despite many attempts with Shopsmith, they couldn't figure out this IT glitch for me. If everything is working perfectly, then Shopsmith sends out a backorder email every week to update you on the status of the backorder, but it took an act of Congress to get this working at Shopsmith for me on my backorders for some reason. I am explaining all of this not to rant, but to educate so that any members who have similar problems can have the proper expectations on orders from Shopsmith. When possible, please cut Shopsmith some slack, because at the end of the day, they are still there servicing orders and I think we should all be grateful for that...without them we would could only sift through spare parts on eBay, Craigslist, FB, etc. Also, I believe there are only a handful of people working there and I think they are overloaded, so they are doing the best they can.
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I purchase all my Shopsmith parts directly from Shopsmith. I've done it that way for 30 years and always have had good results from them. Sometimes the part I need might be out of stock, but they get it as fast as they can have more made up.
Unless you are running a production line and need the Shopsmith 24 hours a day, I still recommend getting what you need directly from Shopsmith. If you plan to run a factory, you might need to fill the factory with a line of Shopsmiths. If you are a hobbyist like most users, just take your time and get the parts from Shopsmith and get the machine running right. Then, if you care for it, it will rarely need more parts in the future.
Winginsue
Silver Member

Post by Winginsue »

Thanks for all the helpful information. I wasn't aware of the tornado hit. I will continue to "chip" away. My Mark V isn't terribly old. I just need to get a few things for it.
RFGuy wrote:
Winginsue wrote: Has anyone else purchased from them online with any luck? Are there other outlets to purchase from?

Thanks
If you ordered in the past few weeks, I would say give Shopsmith a little bit of a break because I know they were hit with a massive tornado a couple of weeks ago, so this may delay shipping a bit. Having said this, I have been quite vocal on this forum in the past few months regarding my trials and tribulations with online orders from Shopsmith. First, know that Shopsmith WILL take care of you. It does require either multiple phone calls and/or emails, but if you continue to chip away at it, like a tenacious woodpecker, you WILL get responses from them and they WILL take care of you. I know this is not how customer service is supposed to be in 2019, but on the flip-side these are machines designed many, many decades ago and we should all be grateful that they are still supported and we can actually still get NEW parts for them. IF you are not getting responses from either email or phone calls, I highly recommend checking out the "Shopsmith Customer Service" user group on Facebook. While I am not a fan of FB, I have observed several members getting quick replies from Shopsmith when customer service has fallen through the cracks, on the rare occasion, if you highlight it there. One other point to be aware of, is that if Shopsmith doesn't have a part in stock, which is often, then they will put your order on backorder....but they don't tell you!!! At least that has been the case with me. So, you have to call them and get ahold of someone that can check this for you. Some items will ship in 1-2 weeks while certain "special" items can take 4 months or more for fulfillment. I NEVER get emails from Shopsmith indicating an order has shipped, so I had to constantly check the website with my order number to see if it has shipped and to get a tracking number. Some members DO get shipping emails, but despite many attempts with Shopsmith, they couldn't figure out this IT glitch for me. If everything is working perfectly, then Shopsmith sends out a backorder email every week to update you on the status of the backorder, but it took an act of Congress to get this working at Shopsmith for me on my backorders for some reason. I am explaining all of this not to rant, but to educate so that any members who have similar problems can have the proper expectations on orders from Shopsmith. When possible, please cut Shopsmith some slack, because at the end of the day, they are still there servicing orders and I think we should all be grateful for that...without them we would could only sift through spare parts on eBay, Craigslist, FB, etc. Also, I believe there are only a handful of people working there and I think they are overloaded, so they are doing the best they can.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Winginsue wrote:Thanks for all the helpful information. I wasn't aware of the tornado hit. I will continue to "chip" away. My Mark V isn't terribly old. I just need to get a few things for it.
Yeah, please keep at it...I know it is frustrating, but if it gets to be too much use the FB group for Shopsmith Customer Service. You WILL get their attention there, but I'd try phone and email again first. I also agree with "garys" in that I try to buy as much as I can directly from Shopsmith. This keeps them in business, but I know this can prove to be too much for some depending on their budget and the inflation in Shopsmith new prices. There is quite a good inventory out there of used items on eBay, FB marketplace, etc. I finished out all the odd and end pieces and accessory items for my solitary Shopsmith over the past 6 months (taking advantage of many of the weekly sales from them). Some items got backordered, some items got lost in shipment. Shopsmith came through on everything....but it did take a lot of tenacity on my part to follow-up with them on it all. Being a Shopsmith owner is not pain free, but it is worth it...
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

I have online (thru SS website) ordered 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months.
I have received an email response of the order, and a shipping notification.

All orders were delivered quickly, even 1 placed the day before the tornado touched down.

b
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

bainin wrote:I have online (thru SS website) ordered 3 or 4 times in the last 2 months.
I have received an email response of the order, and a shipping notification.

All orders were delivered quickly, even 1 placed the day before the tornado touched down.

b
Thanks. I hope I am in the minority. Trust me, I tried and tried to get email notifications working with Shopsmith. I got backorder notifications to work finally, but not standard order email notifications. I am glad it is working for some customers. I placed, I don't know, a dozen or more orders in the last 6 months...mostly online orders but a few phone orders too. I don't think their database is handled well between perhaps an older system, when I became a customer 2 decades ago and whatever their newer system is. As an example, they have my current mail address on file along with my older mail address that I used to live at. They CAN'T delete the old address (database won't allow it), so if I place a phone order, I have to tell them to send it to the new address every time. They always do and get it correct, but I wish they could delete the old, incorrect info on my account. I suspect I might have 2 accounts in their system because of merging an old database and somehow they can't email me shipping notifications even though I get the initial online order confirmation email. Strange...
Last edited by RFGuy on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Winginsue wrote:Hi all. So, I am loving my new (used) Mark V model 510. I did discovered the outfeed assembly on my rip fence is broken. Where do you recommend purchasing parts? I'm concerned about purchasing from ShopSmith. I ordered a couple of parts several weeks ago. Wound up fibding them locally after two weeks of no news, so tried calling to cancel. I've not heard from them at allb neither about the oder nor cancelling even though I left messages andsent emails.

Has anyone else purchased from them online with any luck? Are there other outlets to purchase from?

Thanks
Can you identify the "broken part" in this image? If so, post what you need. Someone may be able to help.
510 rip fence.PNG
510 rip fence.PNG (69.76 KiB) Viewed 20892 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.