Firefox and Ad Blockers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Firefox and Ad Blockers

Post by jsburger »

I use the latest Firefox and Ad Blocker Plus. Some sites have gotten cute and won't let you run an Ad Blocker. If you have an Ad Blocker turned on they detect it won't let you continue unless you turn it off so all the crap shows.

This may not be new to some of you Firefox users but I just recently discovered this. I use the Food Network site a lot. You can't use it with an Ad Blocker so I used to turn it off and the ad's are terrible and very annoying.

One day I decided to open the site in a Firefox private window and turn on the ad blocker. The Food Network site no longer recognizes I have an ad blocker running and all is good. No Ad's.

I have do not track turned on in the normal FF window but obviously the private window, which also has do not track is doing something else. Maybe it does not let the site see the cookies on my machine.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
sehast
Gold Member

Re: Firefox and Ad Blockers

Post by sehast »

Cool, you can do the same thing by using a Incognito window if you happen to be using the Google Chrome browser.
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

That is interesting. I use Firefox 67.0 and uBlock Origin. I just tried the Food Network site and it works just fine with uBlock active.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

"One day I decided to open the site in a Firefox private window"

How does one do dat?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Pull down the "File" menu and select "New Private Window".
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

just checked and OPERA offers the same thing , I never knew it existed Thanks for the info.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

garys wrote:Pull down the "File" menu and select "New Private Window".
???????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

You do have your menus at the top of the screen? Or not? Newer versions of Firefox arrive kind of crippled without menus. They assume we are too stupid to know what a menu is for so they don't give you them by default like the older versions. If you have the new crippled view on yours, go to the upper right hand corner where you see the hieroglyphics version of a menu (three horizontal lines). Right click there and select "menu bar". Now you have a full working version complete with menus so you can access the options of the browser.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:"One day I decided to open the site in a Firefox private window"

How does one do dat?
Several options.

Keyboard shortcut. - Shift+Ctrl+P

From the Menu Bar at the top of the screen (you may have to hover the mouse pointer for it to show}
- click File - from the drop down menu click New Private Window

In Ubuntu on the right end of the Navigation tool bar there is an icon that looks like a stack (3) of long dashes. click and choose New Private Window.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

IF I UNDERSTAND properly, this function offers me nothing. It makes my screen private from other users of this computer. Since I have nothing to conceal and since my wife is the only other user, I have no need for a private screen.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.