Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SaShepherd
Bronze Member

Re: Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Post by SaShepherd »

JPG wrote:The headstock motor has been the same since the early 60's Mark 5.

The headstock vintage matters not. A later version is a plus.

The '500' is the same as a late Mark 5.

There is a '500' rip fence upgrade that includes the top t-slot.

A 505 is the same as a 510 but without the floating tables and connecting tubes etc..

The miter gauge pistol grip goes all the way back to the 50's.

Pix would help! I think you have a Mark V 500 with an upgraded rip fence and a newer headstock. If it is indeed a "C" (red switch) headstock, it should also have the two bearing quill.
Thanks you for the info. Very useful. I'm deciding against buying this as I would rather have a unit with the upgraded model 510 table and the seller is asking too much considering my future added cost to upgrade the table system. I should have taken pictures but at the time didn't think of it.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice and assistance!
chapmanruss
Platinum Member

Re: Help Identifying Shopsmithh Headstock

Post by chapmanruss »

Before looking for other Shopsmith tools to buy check under the Maintenance and Repair section for Shopsmith Large Format Drawings, Illustrations and More by Everett Davis. This will be one of the first three topics. In it you will find a wealth of information on the Shopsmith tools. Some are directly linked there and others are on “My Google Drive” with documents too large to be directly linked. At the bottom of the page you will find a document titled "Buying a Used Shopsmith" This will help you with what to look out for and identifying models.

Everett has become the Shopsmith historian by saving and restoring manuals and other documents for all of us to use.
Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.
Has Speed Changer, 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E's S/N's 1076 & 1077 oldest ones I have restored. Mark 2 S/N 85959 restored. Others to be restored.