Firefox and Ad Blockers

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Re: Firefox and Ad Blockers

Post by garys »

Mostly the private browsing helps prevent sites from tracking you as easily. It deletes your browsing history so internet trackers don't have access to it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... ut-history
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:
garys wrote:Pull down the "File" menu and select "New Private Window".
???????

Also in the upper right hand corner. Below the X to close the FF browser, are 3 stacked -. Click on that for a menu listing.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I tried Food Network with Firefox and Adblock Plus and it worked fine. I didn't see any message about ad blockers. ABP reported blocking 29 ads.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

john_001 wrote:I tried Food Network with Firefox and Adblock Plus and it worked fine. I didn't see any message about ad blockers. ABP reported blocking 29 ads.
Interesting, it is working for me now. Maybe Food Network changed something. It did not used to work. I have had ABP turned off for the sight for a long time. I have turned it on from time to time to check and always got the message to turn off your ad blocker. As of right now it is working so we shall see. :confused: :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I used to get the "turn off your ad blocker" popups from Accuweather and then they stopped. I don't know if Adblocker got craftier or Accuweather finally decided they were annoying people and doing more harm than good. I remember sending them a feedback message saying their 49 ads (the number blocked) were excessive and abusive. Maybe it helped. I suspect websites will eventually disocver these popups are counterproductive.

[rant]
I'm fairly tolerant of ads on websites that get their entire revenue from ads, but websites like Food Network or Accuweather that have a viable business independent of the web and tack on dozens of ads annoy the heck out of me.
[/rant]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

THANK YOU Garys and Beeg.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Private window.jpg
Private window.jpg (111.07 KiB) Viewed 15505 times
I use it a lot so I don't get a bunch advertisements from the web site.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless