miter slot measurement

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rdewinter
Gold Member

miter slot measurement

Post by rdewinter »

What is the actual SS miter gauge bar measurement? I measured mine at 3/4" wide. For Christmas I got a Rockler sliding table with a 3/4" bar that doesn't fit my slots on the main table. After a closer measurement, my slots seem to be 1/16" smaller. Does SS make a smaller miter bar? I might be able to take the miter bar from my SS sliding table and use it on the Rockler table. I could make a miter bar out of hardwood but not sure if it would slide smoothly.
Suggestions/comments welcome.
Bob
San Diego
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Last edited by beeg on Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

rdewinter wrote:What is the actual SS miter gauge bar measurement? I measured mine at 3/4" wide. For Christmas I got a Rockler sliding table with a 3/4" bar that doesn't fit my slots on the main table. After a closer measurement, my slots seem to be 1/16" smaller. Does SS make a smaller miter bar? I might be able to take the miter bar from my SS sliding table and use it on the Rockler table. I could make a miter bar out of hardwood but not sure if it would slide smoothly.
Suggestions/comments welcome.
You could certainly make hardwood miter bars. I waxed mine and they work fine. You can also buy replacement miter bars from Shopsmith. I have a bar that I purchased from Incra. It is the same bar as the one used on the Incra V120 miter gauge.

The dimensions of one of my Shopsmith miter tracks is shown here.

[ATTACH]11299[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Miter Track xxx (Medium).png
Miter Track xxx (Medium).png (64.46 KiB) Viewed 33117 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Thanks dusty I will print this out and keep it for referrence.
I don't how many times I carried either my bar or SS t-nut around to make sure I have a good fit. Now I have the exact measurements I can use.
Thanks!!!!!!!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
georgeorwell
Bronze Member

Re: miter slot measurement

Post by georgeorwell »

This is funny... :D

I needed this info for finding a miter gauge.

Krista, the notorious 'customer service' person at Shopsmith was 'helping' me today and told me this information was proprietary, so refused to give it out.... and yet, here it is...on their public site.

This is the reason my friends and I only have gifted and used shopsmith stuff - I will never give them money with 'helpful support' like that.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

georgeorwell wrote:This is funny... :D

Krista, the notorious 'customer service' person at Shopsmith was 'helping' me today and told me this information was proprietary, so refused to give it out.... and yet, here it is...on their public site.

This is the reason my friends and I only have gifted and used shopsmith stuff - I will never give them money with 'helpful support' like that.
Yeah, I don't think you can buy any aftermarket miter gauges or guard bars to fit the Shopsmith miter slots, unless they have been special purpose built for it. I believe the miter bar is meant to be 5/16" x 23/32" in size, but the "standard" miter slot on most table saws is designed for a 3/8" x 3/4" miter bar. If you do purchase an aftermarket miter gauge, such as an Incra, make sure you get the Shopsmith version that has a milled down miter bar to fit.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I don't understand how this data could be considered proprietary. All one needs to do is measure and you have the datum. And then there is Krista who has been most helpful whenever I have the pleasure of her assistance.

As for the dimensions. The Shopsmith miter track and bar been on the market far longer than many of the third party devices that you allude to. By the way, the datum here was not posted by Shopsmith but rather by yours truly.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:

I don't understand how this data could be considered proprietary. All one needs to do is measure and you have the datum. And then there is Krista who has been most helpful whenever I have the pleasure of her assistance.

As for the dimensions. The Shopsmith miter track and bar been on the market far longer than many of the third party devices that you allude to. By the way, the datum here was not posted by Shopsmith but rather by yours truly.
I have to agree Dusty. His first post. Seems like a troll to me. We don't play with troll's here. If he has a SS just measure. Why would you call SS for a dimension and then dis CS for something that is certainly not proprietary?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

A machinist made 6 aluminum bars for my 500. Cost for all 6 was less than buying two from Shopsmith.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

There is a chance the poster doesn't have a set of mikes needed to take all those measurements ? or even knows how to use them .
Thanks Dusty for posting the information, even though they were asking about the miter bar and not the table your info should help them .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)