band saw table--which should I keep

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

band saw table--which should I keep

Post by farley »

So I already have two band saws---I don't need a third.
I recently got a SS that I am going to make into a stand along drill press only
It came with a band saw. The band saw is fine--it has the old case iron table, so it's older than my other two.

other than table size and that it's magnetic, is there any other reason to keep this band saw and sell off one of my others.
Thanks in advance
J
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Re: band saw table--which should I keep

Post by robinson46176 »

I kept the aluminum table band-saw and sold the cast iron table band-saws. I'm not so sure that was the right choice... :confused:
I do like the bigger table but sometimes wish I could use the miter-gauge as a fence on quick cuts. You just lock the miter-gauge in the cross slot and you have a fence. You can also set the miter-gauge angle off a bit to allow for any tendency for the blade to lead to one side.
All a matter of preference... Not a huge difference either way.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

year there is the fence issue.
and after reading a lot of post...i am think keep the new one
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

farley wrote:year there is the fence issue.
and after reading a lot of post...i am think keep the new one
There is a fence available for the aluminum BS table and it is capable of being off set. You can also get the table extension which is very handy at times. Last, there is the circle cutter. It works extremely well and cuts perfect circled.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
larryhrockisland
Gold Member

Post by larryhrockisland »

I have one each. I like being able to raise the SS to the drill press without having to remove the band saw. Works with the cast iron table but not the aluminum one, at least for me. My aluminum table came with the kreg fence system that SS used to sell and there is an angle on the back that may be interfering but I need to check closer. I would have to get the eccentric tubes and it seems they would put extra stress on the side of the casting.
Larry Hargrove
Rock Island, Ok
1981 Mark V 500>510>520(98922)
19?? Mark V 500>Power Pro headstock 556176 06-17-11 factory exchange program original serial unknown
1957 Mark V 500 (350389)
1953 10ER
Another 10ER
Bandsaw 2012 Jointer 2012
Bandsaw, Jointer, other goodies
Craftsman table saw, Delta 46-460 Midi lathe
SS 6” Belt Sander w/power stand 1970’s?