Yard visitor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

garys
Platinum Member

Yard visitor

Post by garys »

I had this visitor in my yard this evening. I don't know if she was looking for lunch or for my roasting pan.
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg (174.98 KiB) Viewed 14960 times
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Re: Yard visitor

Post by moggymatt »

By me they are thick as can be. There fun to watch and listen to a dozen or so go through the yard every now and then
Paul B
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I was doing a delivery in a rural area a couple of weeks ago, and was met by this fine fellow. :cool:
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 14883 times
He came right up to me, all puffed up and posing, and even drummed a few times. :)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

We get flocks of hens here quite a lot. But Tom turkeys are a rare sight, and this was only the second time that I've seen one with a full-on fan. My wife took this pic from our driveway a week or two ago. There were a couple more hens with him as well.

You can't tell from the photo, but this guy was HUGE! I didn't get to measure him with a Class 1 tape measure :D, but their average height is four feet.
Tom Turkey lowres.JPG
Tom Turkey lowres.JPG (1021.17 KiB) Viewed 14880 times
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

moggymatt wrote:By me they are thick as can be. They're fun to watch and listen to a dozen or so go through the yard every now and then
Cool. They are an introduced species around here, I think that was only the first or second one I have seen. Peafowl, cocks and hens, (also an introduced species), are more common, there are a few colony's of them locally.

ps Is that "thick", as in plentiful, or "thick", as in stupid.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

rpd wrote:
moggymatt wrote:By me they are thick as can be. They're fun to watch and listen to a dozen or so go through the yard every now and then
Cool. They are an introduced species around here, I think that was only the first or second one I have seen. Peafowl, cocks and hens, (also an introduced species), are more common, there are a few colony's of them locally.

ps Is that "thick", as in plentiful, or "thick", as in stupid.
It's turkies, it's a little bit of both.

We have one flock that most of the year has a scheldule of walking across the property each mid morning. Right now I think they are brooding at the top of our hill and we should start seeing chicks soon. In one respect, they are very keen wild animals, they will talk to each other with a good variety of clucks and chirps and cooos when they walk through the woods. And my daughters have always loved how when we hear the Tom's gobbeling, they could call out some random phrase and get a return call from them.

On the other hand, they can't seem to remember my wife's chiweenie loves to chase them and they still get too close to the house.

And like BuckyDennis said, the Tom's get really big. No one by me hunts them and I saw one a couple of weeks ago I literally thought someone's Emu got out. It was about 150 to 200 feet away and at the top of a rise a little higher than I was from the yard. I was about to mow around the house and look up and he was standing really tall and most of his body was above the scrub brush, which I knew was about knee to thigh high right now. I'm so used to seeing the hens disappear into it right now my instant first thought was "Someone's Emu is out". There are so many folks with Llamas, Emus and Ostriches now it's possible. So I start to walk up that way to round it up and he heads up the hill further and I see it's just a big Tom, probably one of the biggest I've seen.
Paul B