Foley strip sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john_001
Gold Member

Re: Foley strip sander

Post by john_001 »

Looks like a simpler version of the Oneway Multigauge:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/oneway-multi-gauge
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote: Step gauge? Flatness gauge?

Most likely for measuring the amount of "set" in a saw blade or checking for alignment of carbide teeth etc.

BTW, the disk "sander" and table are I'm pretty sure designed for sharpening instead of woodworking (though it should work fine). I have a Belsaw heavy cast planer blade holder that runs in a table slot like that. The Belsaw "abrasive belt grinder" was sold as usable for sharpening circle saw blades (not carbide) by getting the blade in position and marking the table with chalk or clamping stop blocks to the table.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

And you can download the #311 manual from this link. :) http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=20449
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
rpd wrote:
I thought that too at first, ;) but rereading the post I realized he was referring to the instrument with the dial gauge in the lower half of the photo. :)
Well now that certainly explains some of the intervening posts! :eek: duh!!!

Step gauge? Flatness gauge?
The upper "gauge" appears to be in it's original packaging. It is a General Multi Purpose Rule and Gauge according to the package. The OP is referring to the bottom (as he said) dial gauge.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

robinson46176 wrote:
JPG wrote: Step gauge? Flatness gauge?

Most likely for measuring the amount of "set" in a saw blade or checking for alignment of carbide teeth etc.

BTW, the disk "sander" and table are I'm pretty sure designed for sharpening instead of woodworking (though it should work fine). I have a Belsaw heavy cast planer blade holder that runs in a table slot like that. The Belsaw "abrasive belt grinder" was sold as usable for sharpening circle saw blades (not carbide) by getting the blade in position and marking the table with chalk or clamping stop blocks to the table.

A set gauge makes sense. There were some saw head screws in the bucket as well. My father in law passed last fall and left me a bunch of Foley-Belsaw equipment and manuals. I'll have to see if that machine is covered in any of them.
So far though, all that equipment is doing is taking up about 100 square feet of garage space. I might have to build a dedicated shed just for sharpening equipment.
Paul B