Look what followed me home from California...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Look what followed me home from California...

Post by rjent »

Just put 1500 miles and 300 dollars in expenses to go get this. I have been searching for one of these for a while now. I wanted to be patient and get a good one, and I did! :D
20190617_160301.jpg
20190617_160301.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 17803 times
I have inconvenienced a lot of electrons with JPG over the last couple of days hashing out the bearing(s) and cam bearing maint. The machine hadn't run for about 20 years, but was in amazing shape. I removed where necessary and just oiled where practical all of the bearings especially the button bearing for the infamous cam. Had to put some belt dressing on the v belt and such and clean up some things, but all in all, I don't think this one is going to get an "overhaul" like the 10ERs did. It just runs to well and after aligning the fence and table, she works like a shopsmith!
Couldn't be happier.

There is truly something wrong with me .... LOL
20190617_160611.jpg
20190617_160611.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 17803 times
For you serial number guys ...
20190617_160708.jpg
20190617_160708.jpg (34.75 KiB) Viewed 17803 times
polished the quill and stop parts today (as well as made a lot of sawdust.....
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Look what followed me home from California...

Post by rpd »

Very nice, :cool: Congratulations.

I remember reading about them in Popular Mechanics/Science back when I was in high school. I think that was my first exposure to the wonderful world of Shopsmith. :D
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Congrats, Dick! Your stable must be getting pretty full ... not to mention well-diversified. I’ll be interested to hear how you like the VII vs. the 7 and the ER’s.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Congratulations! I have seen pics of these around a couple of times, but I honestly don't know anything about them. I like the beefy looking base compared to the mark V. Anyone want to educate me on the benefits, i.e. what is different on the mark VII like this? Much appreciated.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

RFGuy wrote:Congratulations! I have seen pics of these around a couple of times, but I honestly don't know anything about them. I like the beefy looking base compared to the mark V. Anyone want to educate me on the benefits, i.e. what is different on the mark VII like this? Much appreciated.
1) Motor runs both forward and reversed.

2) Tilts both directions.(ala M7)

3) #2 allows motor/quill shaft below table rout/shaping. (ala M7)

4) Larger main table(aux table mountable to main table to create even greater width).

5) Built in vac driven by main motor(runs when quill shaft runs).(base holds large debris bag for vac)

6) Crank actuated headstock travel along ways.

7) Table carriage linkable to headstock so they travel together.

8) Single turn speed control dial(calibrated in rpm) with definite stops).

9) 13 rib poly-v belt fills drive sleeve.

10) Key interlocked power switckh(controls direction as well).

11) CON: Drill press mode close to floor due to vertical pivot inset from end of bench tubes.

12) Quick release miter gauge clamp(angle setting).

13) Single knob controls positioning crank and headstock positional lock.

14) Table height adjustable with a crank wheel(ala 5xx).

15) Easy carriage lock(ala 5xx).

16) Single lever rip fence clamp.

17) CON(IMHO) wing nuts on quill lock(s) shaped differently.

18) Way and bench tubes ALWAYS travel together(more rigid).

Much else is the same as Mark 5.

It has many pre-curser functions of the 5xx(not 500) and M7.

It's downfall was the nylon cam and gear rack(for headstock positioning).

Some parts are interchangable with the M5, but not many.(most are unique)

P.S. The upper assembly(way/bench tubes etc. is mounted on the base reversed(the vac hole should be on the back side)).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

JPG wrote:
P.S. The upper assembly(way/bench tubes etc. is mounted on the base reversed(the vac hole should be on the back side)).

I'm working on it LOL.

Didn't have a helper the last few days to flip it around. Brought it home like that. I wonder how long the old gentleman used it that way .... :confused:
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:
RFGuy wrote:Congratulations! I have seen pics of these around a couple of times, but I honestly don't know anything about them. I like the beefy looking base compared to the mark V. Anyone want to educate me on the benefits, i.e. what is different on the mark VII like this? Much appreciated.
1) Motor runs both forward and reversed.

2) Tilts both directions.(ala M7)

3) #2 allows motor/quill shaft below table rout/shaping. (ala M7)

4) Larger main table(aux table mountable to main table to create even greater width).

5) Built in vac driven by main motor(runs when quill shaft runs).(base holds large debris bag for vac)

6) Crank actuated headstock travel along ways.

7) Table carriage linkable to headstock so they travel together.

8) Single turn speed control dial(calibrated in rpm) with definite stops).

9) 13 rib poly-v belt fills drive sleeve.

10) Key interlocked power switckh(controls direction as well).

11) CON: Drill press mode close to floor due to vertical pivot inset from end of bench tubes.

12) Quick release miter gauge clamp(angle setting).

13) Single knob controls positioning crank and headstock positional lock.

14) Table height adjustable with a crank wheel(ala 5xx).

15) Easy carriage lock(ala 5xx).

16) Single lever rip fence clamp.

17) CON(IMHO) wing nuts on quill lock(s) shaped differently.

18) Way and bench tubes ALWAYS travel together(more rigid).

Much else is the same as Mark 5.

It has many pre-curser functions of the 5xx(not 500) and M7.

It's downfall was the nylon cam and gear rack(for headstock positioning).

Some parts are interchangable with the M5, but not many.(most are unique)

Thanks. It sounds like an interesting machine. I assume it was intended for wood only? I ask, because the crank actuated headstock seems like it might be a useful function perhaps borrowed from a milling machine. Also, looks like a heavier and more stable base possibly for lathe operation.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wood only(and occasional drilling of metal). i.e. same as M5.

No it is not a 'Smithy)'. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

To what JPG enumerated I'd like to add:

Elevation to vertical (in either direction) is much easier with the VII than with the Mark 5 group, because of the inset pivot points. The VII also requires a foot less overhead space, which matters in my little shed-shop.

The dust-collector setup is interesting, but by all accounts is noisy, doesn't work very well, and significantly reduces motor output. I've been musing on how that motor-speed shaft down low might be useful, but don't see it yet. And if I were to find the blower parts, I'd definitely try to acquire them, if only for the tinkering value.

The overhead setup is lower than that on the Mark 5, yes, but I haven't found it to be a detriment.

The speed range is a little higher.

The sheave belt is an off-the-shelf item in auto-parts stores.

It's harder to upgrade to larger wheels.

The main table pivots 180 degrees, for over- and under-table ops.

The auxiliary table mounts in the usual end positions or directly to the main table, with a 90-degree tabletop that can take the rip fence either way. The brackets on the side table are narrow, however, leaving essentially one position for the fence.

The head can be unlocked from the rack to slide on the ways like the Mark 5.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Thanks Steve. Yeah, the pivots look nice and I didn't even think about the overhead advantage for this compared to a Mark V. So, the dust collector didn't have a separate motor, but siphoned power from the headstock? The base looks to me to be made out of heavy gauge plate steel that has been welded. Am I correct, or is it cast or etc? Sorry for all of the questions, but there are only a very few pics of these online and the pics aren't very high resolution.
📶RF Guy