Look what followed me home from California...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rjent
Platinum Member

Re: Look what followed me home from California...

Post by rjent »

RFGuy wrote:Thanks Steve. Yeah, the pivots look nice and I didn't even think about the overhead advantage for this compared to a Mark V. So, the dust collector didn't have a separate motor, but siphoned power from the headstock? The base looks to me to be made out of heavy gauge plate steel that has been welded. Am I correct, or is it cast or etc? Sorry for all of the questions, but there are only a very few pics of these online and the pics aren't very high resolution.
FWIW, I love it so far. I have mounted all of the spts (belt sander, bandsaw, jointer etc) with no problems and everything lines up and works. I just turned a plate from 3/4 pine glue up and the 700 rpm low end is a little faster that I like to start out at.

The base is a tank. It reminds me of the way the 10's are made.

Very solid, quiet (which suprises me), and powerful. It seems to rip 2 3/4 and 3" thick stock easier than the mark V 500, but of course doesn't compare to the Powerpro (the POS).

I love the tilt process. Best SS to date of that experience.

I will be doing one of my solid wood raised panel cabinet doors exclusively in the next few days, that will test the under table and over table shaping because I do both for that. I have to make a couple of jigs first, but I will report back.

The real worry, and justifiable hesitation in getting one is the lack of parts. My attitude, is that every item on all Shopsmiths (except the PP electronics) can be made. It wouldn't be cheap, but you can repair them. I had a lot of experience in that (making parts) in my childhood.

So, so far, I am very impressed with the design and build. Someone (cough cough) should start building these things again.

JMH 2 cents.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

RFGuy wrote:The base looks to me to be made out of heavy gauge plate steel that has been welded. Am I correct, or is it cast or etc?
The base is light sheet steel with some seam welding, but meant to be assembled by the customer onsite. So it's lighter than it looks in terms of mass, and mostly joined with sheet screws.
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

RFGuy wrote:So, the dust collector didn't have a separate motor, but siphoned power from the headstock?
Right, it's mounted on the axial shaft of the motor. It was an ambitious idea, but as I understand it the big engineering problem is that the dust-collection fan has to work both forward and reverse. This compromises its efficiency, further cutting into horsepower at the tool. There is also no convenient way to take the blower offline and work without it.

I'd be very interested to hear any counter-narratives on this.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

StevenAyres wrote:
RFGuy wrote:So, the dust collector didn't have a separate motor, but siphoned power from the headstock?
Right, it's mounted on the axial shaft of the motor. It was an ambitious idea, but as I understand it the big engineering problem is that the dust-collection fan has to work both forward and reverse. This compromises its efficiency, further cutting into horsepower at the tool. There is also no convenient way to take the blower offline and work without it.

I have already taken the dust collector fan and ducting off already. Too much noise for the amount of air flow you get. When removed there is a small motor shaft that really isn't in the way. I will build a protective housing around it, but that probably isn't necessary. It really is amazing how quiet the headstock is (with the blower removed). I assume the case (being different) may have something to do with it, but is is quiet. The Powerpro is quieter, but not significantly.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

rjent wrote:It really is amazing how quiet the headstock is (with the blower removed).
I'm very glad you mentioned this. I've been concerned that my Mark 5 is noisier than it should be, because the VII is so much quieter. I wonder why -- there doesn't seem to be enough engineering difference in the headstocks to account for it.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

StevenAyres wrote:

Interesting...so, I assume they did just a radial, straight blade impeller for the dust collector then. This would allow for forward and backward rotation and be very robust for any wood chips that make it into the fan, but not very efficient. I wonder what size impeller it is and what the housing looks like. If you never intended to run the motor both forwards and backwards, it could be possible to swap out the impeller for another one. A backward curved impeller could greatly increase the efficiency of it. Even better would be an airfoil impeller, but near impossible to buy one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (it would only safest sitting behind a cyclone though to minimize wood chip impacts).
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

FWIW, the impeller closely resembles the DC3300 impeller.

I think the 'straight' blades has to do with the possibility of large debris.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
StevenAyres
Gold Member

Post by StevenAyres »

A couple more differences come to mind:

The tables are 21" deep, 3" bigger than those on the Mark 5.

The power switch is keyed, and you have to turn the key to switch between forward and reverse. And of course baby can't turn it on if you've taken out the key. Pretty nice key, too!
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

JPG wrote:FWIW, the impeller closely resembles the DC3300 impeller.

I think the 'straight' blades has to do with the possibility of large debris.
Been awhile since I took my DC3300 apart, but from what I remember it was a forward curved impeller design. The curve is so slight though that it is closer to a straight radial blade design though, so I guess you probably wouldn't see much difference in dust collector performance between forward and reverse speeds with the Mark VII. At least that is my speculation. I contemplated re-designing my DC3300 in the past. I think the impeller was only like 9.5" or 10" diameter. I had a spare motor (free and more HP) that I could use, so I thought about purchasing a larger backward curved impeller, but it would have required building a new blower housing for it. In the end, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth for me.

Also, it seems like the Mark VII was at least a few inches taller than a Mark V. Is this the case? For those of us that are taller, that would certainly be welcome, particularly for lathe work.
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

The older Mk7 is kind of a mystery to me in that it seemed SS was actually on a better track with it. It was definitely a step up from the MK 5 design. Where did it fit with the SS corporate timeline ? Do we know how many were made ?
Paul