home made carbide lathe tool

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

james1726
Silver Member

home made carbide lathe tool

Post by james1726 »

I wanted to try the carbide cutters so I made a turning tool. It does work very well however i'm not sure if I have the cutter positioned on the 1/2 bar correctly. Any thoughts?
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 14688 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 14688 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (78.14 KiB) Viewed 14688 times
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: home made carbide lathe tool

Post by wa2crk »

It could have been set back a bit further so that the bottom of the cutter was more flush with the bar. Also the cutter bar should be relieved slightly so the stock can clear the steel bar after it clears the cutter. About a 10 degree bevel. I don't think that you will have a serious problem because it certainly looks like a useful tool. Really nice job. There is a slight chance that the carbide may break if you get a catch. You may want to look at the following link for replacement cutters.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/BC32 ... %20inserts

Bill V
james1726
Silver Member

Post by james1726 »

Thanks so much for the link. I thought I probably had the cutter too far forward. I appreciate the advice.

It was fun to do so I believe i'll try again. I've got plenty of 1/2 bar left
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

i use the round carbine cutter often on the bottom of the bowl where it meets the side. Above suggestion were right on.