Should have left it alone.

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Should have left it alone.

Post by beeg »

For some reason I checked where the way tubes weld position was. The front one was at 6:00 o'clock, the back one was at about 11:00 o'clock. Since I've been have some trouble sliding the headstock, I figured I'd twist the back tube so that the weld matched the front one. It's now on the bottom, BUT the set screw that anchors the tube in place came out. Will I have to remove the roll pin from the base arm pin #29, tap the pin out to replace the set screw?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Should have left it alone.

Post by garys »

broke.jpg
broke.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 21662 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:For some reason I checked where the way tubes weld position was. The front one was at 6:00 o'clock, the back one was at about 11:00 o'clock. Since I've been have some trouble sliding the headstock, I figured I'd twist the back tube so that the weld matched the front one. It's now on the bottom, BUT the set screw that anchors the tube in place came out. Will I have to remove the roll pin from the base arm pin #29, tap the pin out to replace the set screw?
NO. It is not necessary to remove the hinge pin in order to access the set screw. However, your task will not be a simole one due to the location of the set screw and the obstruction imposed by the hinge pin. Obvious the work must be done from the underside of the Mark V...UNLESS... you can lay the Mark V on its side or invert it.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Access is easier if one raises it to vertical. ;)

Now did repositioning help with the 'slide problem'?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Use an Allen wrench with a ball end. It may help accessing the set screw.
Bill V
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

When I first read this I thought "gee, I don't remember having a problem tightening the set screws." Then I read more carefully and realized he actually removed the set screw. Yeah, weaving it back into that little hole would be pretty frustrating! Bill's ball-end Allen wrench suggestion would help ... also maybe shining a light through the hole from the other end to provide a clearer target.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

john_001 wrote:When I first read this I thought "gee, I don't remember having a problem tightening the set screws." Then I read more carefully and realized he actually removed the set screw. Yeah, weaving it back into that little hole would be pretty frustrating! Bill's ball-end Allen wrench suggestion would help ... also maybe shining a light through the hole from the other end to provide a clearer target.

????? :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:Access is easier if one raises it to vertical. ;)

Now did repositioning help with the 'slide problem'?

I THINK the ONLY way to access it, is in the drill press mode. It's still in drill press mode,with a missing screw.

Going over the top of the bar allowed me to loosen it. The problem is I must have loosened it to much and it came out. So to get the set screw in STRAIGHT, the bar will have to be move out of the way.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I can feel your pain. I've not done this exact same thing but others very much like it. I do think it can be done with out taking everything apart but it will difficult. I remember once using a straw and sticking the setscrew in the straw then flexing the straw enough to get a few threads started..... perhaps something like that would work in your case.

Best of luck with this.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 21313 times
Under the pin????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝