Blade Wobble > FIXED

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Thomschuck
Gold Member

Blade Wobble > FIXED

Post by Thomschuck »

Fellow ShopSmith Gurus
The problem with the Mark 5 500 blade wobble has been fixed.
I have a pal that is a locomotive machinist. He came by. He read every post. He went out and Cranked on the arbor nut. It was loose, way loose for an arbor..... crap.
I am a wheelchair guy. Yeah, I am running my ShopSmith pretty much in my powerchair. I am not as strong as I once was. It sure felt tight to me. Every lock was well.... loose. Lessons learned. It also demonstrated a bit of runout, not bad but...The combination of variables add up. That arbor is NEVER coming off that blade.
Live Big
TS
Thom Schuck

SS Model 5 500 Completely Restored
SS Bandsaw Completely Restored
SS Jointer Completly Restored
SS Biscuit Cutter
Rikon Low Speed Grinder W/Wolverine jig
Kreg Tool TrackHorse X 2 + Kreg Tool Project Center with 35 Kreg Tool Clamps
11 Systematic Blades of every configuration
Bosch/Mikita handheld power tools plus every hand tool in the book.
Ulmia Chisel sets X 3
Permobile Custom RideForward Powerchair
Complete set of registered # NASA X-15 Custom Tools W/Ownership certificate
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Blade Wobble > FIXED

Post by jsburger »

Thomschuck wrote:Fellow ShopSmith Gurus
I have a pal that is a locomotive machinist. He came by. He read every post. He went out and Cranked on the arbor nut. It was loose, way loose for an arbor..... crap.
I am a wheelchair guy. Yeah, I am running my ShopSmith pretty much in my powerchair. I am not as strong as I once was. It sure felt tight to me. Every lock was well.... loose. Lessons learned. It also demonstrated a bit of runout, not bad but...The combination of variables add up. That arbor is NEVER coming off that blade.
Live Big
TS
Glad you found the problem. What about your friend with the new Power Pro with the exact same problem?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Glad you fixed it !!!!!
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thomschuck wrote:Fellow ShopSmith Gurus
Live Big
TS
Then there is your friend with a new Power Pro that has the same wobble issue???
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

TS,

I am glad you were able to solve this and don't have the wobble now. I don't think I have ever seen this on my Shopsmith, but I have had the arbor nut slightly loose once or twice, so it is possible. I have always risked hitting my fingers on the sawblade and cutting myself when I tighten the arbor. I say this because I use the Shopsmith long arbor wrench (pictured below, item # 515979) with a mechanics open end wrench to tighten the arbor nut. Tightening the arbor nut is a bit awkward any way in trying to keep your fingers clear of the sawblade teeth. I had been thinking about ordering a second long arbor wrench to use for when changing sawblades out on arbors. After reading your posts, I think I will go ahead and buy a 2nd arbor wrench from Shopsmith. For me at least, it has always been a bit awkward to change sawblades using an open end wrench that isn't as long or wide as the Shopsmith arbor wrench to tighten against the Shopsmith arbor wrench. I think having 2 of these will give me more control to tighten the arbor hopefully without scraping my knuckles on the sawblade, but also be able to get it fully tight as well. I believe you have helped me make my decision to order a 2nd arbor wrench...
arbor_wrench.jpg
arbor_wrench.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 18568 times
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

RFGuy wrote:TS,

I am glad you were able to solve this and don't have the wobble now. I don't think I have ever seen this on my Shopsmith, but I have had the arbor nut slightly loose once or twice, so it is possible. I have always risked hitting my fingers on the sawblade and cutting myself when I tighten the arbor. I say this because I use the Shopsmith long arbor wrench (pictured below, item # 515979) with a mechanics open end wrench to tighten the arbor nut. Tightening the arbor nut is a bit awkward any way in trying to keep your fingers clear of the sawblade teeth. I had been thinking about ordering a second long arbor wrench to use for when changing sawblades out on arbors. After reading your posts, I think I will go ahead and buy a 2nd arbor wrench from Shopsmith. For me at least, it has always been a bit awkward to change sawblades using an open end wrench that isn't as long or wide as the Shopsmith arbor wrench to tighten against the Shopsmith arbor wrench. I think having 2 of these will give me more control to tighten the arbor hopefully without scraping my knuckles on the sawblade, but also be able to get it fully tight as well.
arbor_wrench.jpg
Understand and agree but I believe I have eliminated the awkwardness by always doing this with the arbor mounted on the drive shaft and using a large crescent wrench in conjunction with the arbor wrench.

I'm cheap. $18.00, no way
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

If there's a more difficult and time consuming way to accomplish a task, I'll find it.
When changing blades, I take blade and arbor off, take it to my vise and use an open end wrench to remove the nut. Then, put on the new blade and, tighten it. There is absolutely no sound reason to do it this way. But, it's an ingrained and, decades old habit.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

dusty wrote:
Understand and agree but I believe I have eliminated the awkwardness by always doing this with the arbor mounted on the drive shaft and using a large crescent wrench in conjunction with the arbor wrench.

I'm cheap. $18.00, no way
Thanks Dusty. Yeah, I have tried it both on the driveshaft and off, but I didn't see much difference for me. I agree that if you have a long handle crescent wrench or similar, I think it makes it easier. The problem that I have is with my open end wrenches that I have on hand, they only go up to 7/8", so I use my 11/16" open end wrench which isn't terribly long (9") with the Shopsmith arbor wrench that is 13" long. I think having two identical type wrenches would be good for pushing in one hand and pulling in the other, but ideally they should be long handle wrenches, IMHO. The $18 for the wrench isn't really a problem, but rather the shipping that Shopsmith charges for everything.
Last edited by RFGuy on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Gene Howe wrote:If there's a more difficult and time consuming way to accomplish a task, I'll find it.
When changing blades, I take blade and arbor off, take it to my vise and use an open end wrench to remove the nut. Then, put on the new blade and, tighten it. There is absolutely no sound reason to do it this way. But, it's an ingrained and, decades old habit.
Gene,

Good idea, I think and probably keeps the arbor well secured for tightening/loosening. If I had a vise, I would give it a try. Some day I will get my dream workbench built and install a vice in it, but I still don't have one yet unfortunately.
📶RF Guy

Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

n my case I have 2 longer box / open end wrenches , one on the arbor I usually lay a rag on the way tube , then I set the wrench against the rag on the way tube, and the other I use to loosen the arbor nut , when tightening I just reverse the one on the way tube .
I was first concerned about damage to the way tube , so far it hasn't been a issue and I can get it good and tight.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)