Today in the shop (lets make that stick a tape)

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Today in the shop (lets make that stick a tape)

Post by reible »

There have been some recent posts about the use of story sticks so while this is no stick it does some of those functions. It started out as an April Fools thing but hey it made since and they started making them. And yes of course I got one.

So start your explore here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=65357&cat=

Then since I know you will want one go here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.a ... 3513,65359

If you can wait I'd say wait until they have free shipping and add that to your list to get to the amount needed for the free shipping...... but well you decide.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Today in the shop (lets make that stick a tape)

Post by reible »

Here is mine hanging out:
tape5.jpg
tape5.jpg (187.1 KiB) Viewed 23023 times
Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:There have been some recent posts about the use of story sticks so while this is no stick it does some of those functions. It started out as an April Fools thing but hey it made since and they started making them. And yes of course I got one.

So start your explore here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=65357&cat=

Then since I know you will want one go here:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.a ... 3513,65359

If you can wait I'd say wait until they have free shipping and add that to your list to get to the amount needed for the free shipping...... but well you decide.

Ed
Thanks Ed. Yeah, I have seen these. The first question that I have is what size Sharpie do you mark it with? I mean the standard Sharpie leaves a very wide mark, so do you use a fine point Sharpie instead? Just wondering how much error this introduces, but if the project measurement can tolerate +/- 1/16" then I see no problem. Second question that I have is what the hook is like on the end of the tape? I mean is it a hard fixed hook? Most tape measures have a hook designed to give a consistent measurement for inside versus outside edge so the hook moves to compensate for the width of the hook tip. Since there are no units on this kind of tape measure, I don't know how this makes sense with a movable hook, so is the hook fixed in position?
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The tape is just like any other tape measure but without the printing. So yes the tip moves by the width of the metal it is made from, again this is a pretty small amount so long as the tape is well made as this one is.

For marking, depending on your preferences the finer the line the better (for most of us). I have not ever used a permanent marker on it but the ones I use for other type things are labeled "Ultra Fine Point". You could use other things to mark with like a pencil but finding the right hardness of lead can be tricky. You can also have these same issues with marking sticks. Or marking with a rule for that matter. I have a marking knife I use on things that really count but most time just a pencil.

For the price it is worth it to have yet another option when doing projects.

Ed
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

reible wrote:The tape is just like any other tape measure but without the printing. So yes the tip moves by the width of the metal it is made from, again this is a pretty small amount so long as the tape is well made as this one is.

For marking, depending on your preferences the finer the line the better (for most of us). I have not ever used a permanent marker on it but the ones I use for other type things are labeled "Ultra Fine Point". You could use other things to mark with like a pencil but finding the right hardness of lead can be tricky. You can also have these same issues with marking sticks. Or marking with a rule for that matter. I have a marking knife I use on things that really count but most time just a pencil.

For the price it is worth it to have yet another option when doing projects.

Ed
Ed,

Thanks. Yeah, the hook movement seems like a problem to me, but I guess I am overthinking it. I mean whether there are units or not, you have to know whether the measurement at hand is inside versus outside. Ultimately, I guess it is all taken care of in the measurement or can be compensated as long as you keep the hook movement in mind.

For marking, I was thinking you needed to use something more permanent like a Sharpie marker, but you mentioned pencil. Does pencil mark stay on the tape material? I would have thought it would rub off rather easy, but if pencil works well then that is good. Yeah, even though I don't use story sticks, I thought these story tapes were pretty cool when I saw them. Seems like a new way to use story sticks and potentially more compact. You could have one each for many projects and store them all easily in a drawer, etc. in the shop.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

I think it is hilarious and can see why people actually wanted the real thing. Wish I would have thought of it and at that price it would be worth having as a conversation piece or a gift to a fellow woodworker.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I cheat and put some magic transparent tape on the rule when using pencil, so long as you don't get too carried away it seems to work, I take some pictures later. I use magic tape a lot in the shop, like on the table insert to show blade locations. I also use a lot of the green painters tape, I use that on my miter saw to mark locations for lengths or on the router table for starting and stopping points.

The only marker I have ever used on the tape is the Long Nosed Pattern Marker by fastcap. I know that one wipes off, others might work too. I've been chicken to try one labeled permanent.

As far as the end piece goes it should be well within a 1/32". Plenty good for most wood projects. And as story sticks go that would be very except-able. If you are seeing things being off my 1/16" then I would question the tape measure. If you are looking for tapes without the play then look for very thin ones that are made for just hooking over and not for pushing against. I have a couple of those.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Not great pictures but I think you will get the idea.
tape 1.jpg
tape 1.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 22960 times
tape 2.jpg
tape 2.jpg (38.01 KiB) Viewed 22960 times
And yes the tape stays on when rolled back inside. I don't know the limit of how many tape spots you can add because I have not reached that limit. It does some time leave some residue but fresh tape picks it up just fine and it looks and feels just like new after.

Ed