Router controller

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Nickeldave
Bronze Member

Router controller

Post by Nickeldave »

I have Shopsmith #191428
I would like to slow it down some for turning.
I'm not interested in spending over $1000 for the upgraded head.
My thoughts are I could use a router controller to slow it down.
I'm sure this is a bad idea but wanted to know what y'all thought.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Router controller

Post by wa2crk »

You may be better off to try to find a speed reducer on E-Bay. They don't come up often and when they do they bring almost the factory because of the rarity and the fact that they seldom wear out
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

There is a speed reducer listed on eBay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Spee ... SwSHBdEC8w
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nickeldave wrote:I have Shopsmith #191428
I would like to slow it down some for turning.
I'm not interested in spending over $1000 for the upgraded head.
My thoughts are I could use a router controller to slow it down.
I'm sure this is a bad idea but wanted to know what y'all thought.
Router controllers won’t work with an induction motor, which is what powers your Shopsmith. Induction-motor speed is controlled primarily by the supply frequency. Variable-frequency drives (VFD’s) do indeed change the supply frequency to the motor — but they are only suitable for three-phase induction motors. The starting circuits on single-phase induction motors aren’t compatible with VFD’s.

Router controllers effectively change the voltage applied to the motor. This enables them to control the speed of “universal” motors. Or to dim light bulbs. Or to “release the magic smoke” from an induction motor.
Nickeldave
Bronze Member

Post by Nickeldave »

Thanks BuckeyeDennis I thought it would let the smoke loose but didn't know for sure.
I'm an old retired tool maker so I love to tinker, now I'm looking at this since I swore off evil bay years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKE4ZAu ... e=youtu.be
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Get a speed reducer off of eBay, etc. if you can find one. If not, go ahead and pay full price for a speed reducer from Shopsmith. Mine was on backorder for about 6 months, but I finally got it from them. They tend to be rare items and don't come up that often for sale used.
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

Nickeldave wrote:Thanks BuckeyeDennis I thought it would let the smoke loose but didn't know for sure.
I'm an old retired tool maker so I love to tinker, now I'm looking at this since I swore off evil bay years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKE4ZAu ... e=youtu.be
A setup like that can work just fine. Matter of fact, I do believe that one is the handiwork of esteemed forum member masonsailor2, built when the Mothership was unable to deliver speed reducers.