Wood Hardener

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Wood Hardener

Post by ChrisNeilan »

benush26 wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:
For Alumalite you need a pressure pot, not vacuum. The pressure compresses any air bubbles to the point of being too small for the eye to see.
Interesting! I’ve just made pen blanks in flexible forms using the Alumilite and hadn’t used any pressure device. I’ve not noticed any bubbles, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t any, just that I hadn’t noticed or had to deal with them. I don’t stir very vigorously and add the colors and flecks without much speed. Maybe that has helped reduce them. A friend uses a repurposed paint pot and has offered to let me use it. From now on, I’ll use it until I buy one.
About to try turning a few vases using Alumilite and kiln dried Russian Olive (LOTS of cracks to fill with colored acrylic). I hadn’t planned on using a pressure pot, but I’ll have to try it. I assumed (incorrectly 😱) that I would need to vacuum out any air pockets, but now with your wise advice, I’ll change plans.
As with too many projects, I’ve guess I’ve been lucky that my lack of knowledge hasn’t blown up (literally) in my face.
I do like exploring avenues from the tried and true wood working, but have so much to learn.
Thanks for the information!

Be well,
Ben
If you are very careful, and the pour is small, you migh not need a pressure pot, but if it is a deeper pour filling voids and such, you should use one. The problem with vacuum and resin is that the resin may start setting up trapping air bubbles. I use a paint pot from Grizzley. Quite hefty.
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe