Gluing wood: wood glue or hot glue?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Kicrrvyla
Bronze Member

Gluing wood: wood glue or hot glue?

Post by Kicrrvyla »

Hey guys,

I'm making a wooden box in one of my classes and wanted your opinion as to which adhesive was better. I already have a hot glue gun (high temp) w/ glue sticks https://besttoolexpert.com/hot-glue-stick , so that would be ideal for me instead of going out and buying wood glue. They have some at the woodshop, but I don't want to leave it there if it won't dry in less than an hour.

Thanks. :-)
Last edited by Kicrrvyla on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Gluing wood: wood glue or hot glue?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

try it on a scrap piece of wood first .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Kicrrvyla wrote:Hey guys,

I'm making a wooden box in one of my classes and wanted your opinion as to which adhesive was better. I already have a hot glue gun (high temp) w/ glue sticks, so that would be ideal for me instead of going out and buying wood glue. They have some at the woodshop, but I don't want to leave it there if it won't dry in less than an hour.

Thanks. :-)
How strong does the box need to be? Hot glue is not typically used for any applications that require strength. Below is a quote from the adhesives.org website. Also, how tight do the joints need to be? If you use a wood glue like Titebond II or II, then with proper application, the joint gap will be minimal. However, with hot glue, often times the glue starts setting as soon as you apply it so often there is a good size gap between the two surfaces you are joining.

"Hot glue:

The melting and cooling of polymers provides the methods of delivery and adhesion for hot melt adhesives. Hot glue is most commonly applied using a glue gun and comes in low (250°F) and high (380°F) melting options. Many varieties and performances are available depending on the polymer type. Hot glue can be used on porous and non-porous surfaces. Because of its high viscosity, it can bond uneven surfaces together and is great at filling gaps.

Hot glue is not typically used in high strength applications. And, it will not survive elevated temperatures near the application temperature. However, it provides a very quick setting option for a variety of crafts and substrates. It’s a great all-purpose craft glue for quick set up and execution, but it’s not for use by children."

https://www.adhesives.org/adhesives-sea ... -glue-tips
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I would sooner use a good CA glue before I would use hot glue on anything of aesthetic concerns. It can give messy squeeze out that can be an issue. CA glue is fast and neat. Titebond wood glue is even better, and honestly the initial clamp time can be cut to 15 minutes if the joints fit well. Just don't drop it!

Hot glue will come apart in warm situations as was mentioned in the prior post. I'll give you an example. I'm a funeral director, and recently had a family bring me an urn that we supplied with the intent of reopening it to divide the ashes. The top had been hot glued on very effectively and would not pop off. I placed it in the back seat of my car with the windows up in the sun (summer time). Within the hour the top lifted right off. Are your boxes ever going to be in a hot room, car, attic?
Chris Neilan

Shopsmith Mark 7, Shopsmith Mark V 1982, shortened, Shopsmith 10 ER; Craftsman table saw (1964); Powermatic 3520B lathe
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Is the box worth doing right and keeping? If so, you can pick up a small bottle of wood glue for around $3. Wood glue is the recommended glue for the job, so it seems like an easy decision.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

I don't know if you still need suggestions or not, but another option could be Titebond's new "Quick & Thick" wood glue (relatively new product). Most standard wood glues have around 30% solids, but this glue has 60% solids, so less liquid, i.e. water to evaporate for drying and curing. It is supposed to dry alot faster. Depending on what joint strength you need, I have heard you could move it after only 5-15 minutes. An 8oz bottle of this stuff is only $5 at Walmart. It sounded like fast dry/cure time was your main concern, so if you want a true wood glue this could be a good option for you. Alternatively, you could go with a CA (Cyanoacrylate or "crazy" glue) as well. Either of these, I think would be superior to using hot glue. Hope this helps.
f2d500ef-3bce-45ce-8e14-95b78fd04814_1.2ceaa95ac6237ba75ffc6c15f38b236b.jpg
f2d500ef-3bce-45ce-8e14-95b78fd04814_1.2ceaa95ac6237ba75ffc6c15f38b236b.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 23770 times
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Titebond-240 ... gLzZPD_BwE
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
samwoodblack
Bronze Member

Post by samwoodblack »

I found these reviews about glue https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/wood-glue. There is a lot of information abou different wood glue.
Also, I think it's better than hot.
diazsjonathan8
Bronze Member

Post by diazsjonathan8 »

Hi:

My recommendation would be to use a wood glue.

1. It can be spread easily to cover the joint. Complete coverage is important for a good bond.
2. After assembly, excess glue can be cleaned up with a damp rag.
3. It usually does not cause a problem with any applied finishes.
4. Since it does not set (dry) immediately you will be able to assemble the box and get it square before clamping.

It does require clamping and should be allowed to completely dry before removing from the clamps.

Hope that helps.

Diaz