SELLING SHOPSMITH?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mcorum
Bronze Member

SELLING SHOPSMITH?

Post by mcorum »

Hello I just have some questions, my dad passed away in April and I have his shopsmith that I dont know anything about so I joined this group hoping to find out more information about this system so I can hopefully sell it to recoup some funeral costs that I was not prepared for. I have 2 separate tables it appears they are separate anyway, I have multiple parts and attachments and I am at a loss as I have never done any wood work. Any suggestions on how much these sell for and where I should be posting these for sale? :confused:
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: SELLING SHOPSMITH?

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Sorry to hear of your loss

if you are truly wanting to sell your dads things there is a shop smith group on facebook that seem to have good luck moving equipment , you will need pictures and a location so shipping can be calculated ,most all of them are good at knowing what you have . if not ebay or craigs list good luck .
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Sorry for your loss. As Hobbyman2 said, the Facebook sales group titled "Shopsmith Sales Group" seems to be the best place to post these days for selling. The forum members are helpful both here or there. Once you know the pricing, etc. you can post on that Facebook group or even on Facebook marketplace. When you post, include pictures and explain what you are trying to do with it and why you are selling. Also, PLEASE post your location, even if it is just city name or zip code. A lot of people post and don't give their location, which slows down getting help. These machines are heavy so you are looking for local pickup or for someone to drive many hours to come get it. If you choose to sell some of the items piecemeal, such as some of the accessories or attachments, then shipping can get expensive, but some buyers go for this. If you are not on Facebook, then I would use Craigslist to post it.

So, the price will depend a lot on what equipment you have, the condition of it and WHERE you are located. Shopsmith equipment is very common in parts of the USA, but in some corners of the country it can be rarer, so the price will vary somewhat. The main (most common) Shopsmith machine is the Mark V, but these include the 500, 510 and 520 series of the Mark V. A newer Shopsmith machine is the Mark 7 which has a DVR headstock called the PowerPro, but the 500, 510 or 520 series could also have a headstock that has been upgraded which increases its value. Somewhat less common (fewer manufactured) Shopsmith machines were the Mark II and Mark VII and before Shopsmith became Shopsmith, Magna Corp created the predecessor the 10E/10ER. If you post pics here or on the Facebook sales group, members can help you identify what you have and try to help you on pricing. A general comment is that Shopsmith Mark V's that are used often sell for $500-1000 around most of the country. This can be just the machine, but often times the seller throws in accessories like bandsaw, belt sander, etc. Newer Shopsmith's, particularly ones with a PowerPro headstock will sell for more than this.

Here are a few links that may be helpful to you in identifying what equipment you have and how old it is. Also, there should be a plate on the side of the headstock with a serial number, which will help you date the machine as well. Best of luck on the sale.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/serialnumber.htm

https://www.shopsmith.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
mcorum
Bronze Member

Post by mcorum »

Thank you for the help. I didnt know there was such a facebook group, sounds like a good place to start. I really appreciate it. I wish I had the room to keep it and learn how to use it but I dont have the space :(
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you could share your location with us, someone here may be close by and willing to help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange