Andrew Klein's DIY Sawblade Cleaner

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

RFGuy
Platinum Member

Andrew Klein's DIY Sawblade Cleaner

Post by RFGuy »

Just wanted to share what Andrew Klein has come up with now. A 3D printed sawblade cleaner. He uses a cordless drill to spin the sawblade in this invention and it scrubs the sawblade clean while you have it submerged in cleaning solution. Looks like he has it in the Rockler sawblade cleaning container. He has made the 3D printer files available for free (on his website) if anyone wants to build one of these.

I am surprised noone has made a product out of this before, but maybe not enough woodworkers would find it interesting? Being a mountain biker, this reminds me of the chain cleaning tools which has a similar mechanism. I would like to have one of these, but guess I will have to get into 3D printing first so that I can build it.
sawcleaner.jpg
sawcleaner.jpg (76.09 KiB) Viewed 23474 times
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKD0ct8CqgY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnOBGwZz_g[/youtube]
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Andrew Klein's DIY Sawblade Cleaner

Post by jsburger »

RFGuy wrote:Just wanted to share what Andrew Klein has come up with now. A 3D printed sawblade cleaner. He uses a cordless drill to spin the sawblade in this invention and it scrubs the sawblade clean while you have it submerged in cleaning solution. Looks like he has it in the Rockler sawblade cleaning container. He has made the 3D printer files available for free (on his website) if anyone wants to build one of these.

I am surprised noone has made a product out of this before, but maybe not enough woodworkers would find it interesting? Being a mountain biker, this reminds me of the chain cleaning tools which has a similar mechanism. I would like to have one of these, but guess I will have to get into 3D printing first so that I can build it.

sawcleaner.jpg

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKD0ct8CqgY[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfnOBGwZz_g[/youtube]
Thanks for sharing but, this is absolutely absurd. Why the heck does anyone need this. I spray my blades with CMT blade cleaner and then scrub them with a brass brush. PERFECT!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

jsburger wrote:
Thanks for sharing but, this is absolutely absurd. Why the heck does anyone need this. I spray my blades with CMT blade cleaner and then scrub them with a brass brush. PERFECT!
John,

Yeah, he says this in his video. He basically did it for the fun of it, i.e. to build a contraption to do the task for him. I agree it does only slightly automate what can already be done by hand. However, having said this, I can tell you that an almost identical type tool is used in biking that thoroughly cleans the bike chain WITHOUT removing the chain from the bike. You turn the pedal cranks backwards to make the gears move in it. It does a superb job of cleaning bike chains and is well worth it. Of course, these are only like $20, so not a big expense. As I understand it, Andrew isn't trying to sell these and in fact made the 3D printer files available for free if anyone else wanted to try to build one. It is more for the fun of building it, than the practicality of it versus cleaning by hand.

I am sure Woodpeckers will have a stainless steel version of this thing by next year starting at $999 as a ONE Time tool. :D
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

I thought it was April first :D
Bill V
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I want one that lives in the lower saw guard, is powered by the headstock, and improves dust collection! :D
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

I use left over coffee in a movie film can and let it soak. Cost is zip and results are fantastic. You can use coffee for cleaning gunk off other stuff. Mikey likes it.
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:I want one that lives in the lower saw guard, is powered by the headstock, and improves dust collection! :D
Wait....I thought the old Mark VII had all this already???
:)
📶RF Guy

everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Like John, I think spraying it is simple and it protects the blade, router bit, etc.

The creator has an inventive mind in 3D Design, and I commend him for the mechanism even though complexity is more Rube Golberg-like. I do wonder what the creator has envisioned (or yet will) that will someday make them a fortune though.

https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en/sy ... it-cleaner

Everett