This week in the shop?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bainin
Platinum Member

This week in the shop?

Post by bainin »

Man its been one of those weeks.

Compressor died in upstairs AC unit-family has been camping in the downstairs for a week now.

Dead battery in wifes' car-not clear why this happened yet :) Suspect it may never be clear.

This morning- waking up to this :
swearing.jpg
swearing.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
I've tried to make the manufacturer name prominent in the photo, so others can avoid these units. It didnt come out clear-so let me say-avoid Samsung dryers :) This will be the 2nd heater coil replacement, as well as a drum motor replacement on this particular unit in about 7 years. You really have to disassemble the entire unit to get at the heater element-which is annoying. Considering cutting a hole in the side of the unit to save me time over the coming years.

Needless to say-I haven't managed to drift off to the shop much but I did squeeze in a few prep items which hopefully will add to my projects in time.

First was the PTWWFE adjustable box joint jig. I have to say the diagram is wrong in the book, luckily this becomes obvious as you are making the pieces and can be corrected on the fly.
boxjointjig.jpg
boxjointjig.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
First attempt with the 1/4 tooth.
boxjoint.jpg
boxjoint.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
Finally-some right angle triangles for securing frames/corners at 90 degrees, or 45 i guess :)
rightanglejig.jpg
rightanglejig.jpg (126.15 KiB) Viewed 10728 times
Hope you are all finding more time in the shop than I am.

b
sehast
Gold Member

Re: This week in the shop?

Post by sehast »

I admire your perseverance. Last time I tore into a dryer my wife had a new one ordered before lunch time to put a stop to the unsavory language coming from the laundry room.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Re: This week in the shop?

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It looks like your box-joint test went well, at least!

I got lucky when my AC failed this week, on the hottest day of the year. Figured something must be wrong when I came up from my nice cool basement workshop, to find the main-floor temp at 82. Checked the breakers first, nothing was tripped. Then checked the 28 year old compressor, and it was humming, but not running. Figured it was gonna be time to shell out for a new one. But first tried cycling power to the system. Amazingly, it came back up just fine. So I guess I should put in a plug for Ruud. The 1991 model, anyway. :D I’ve never had to spend a dime on it in all those years.