Disposing of Used Solvents

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

john_001
Gold Member

Disposing of Used Solvents

Post by john_001 »

What do you do with solvents like mineral spirits or alcohol after they've been used to clean brushes or other things?
garys
Platinum Member

Re: Disposing of Used Solvents

Post by garys »

I avoid cleaning brushes whenever possible. I use the cheap foam brushes and throw them away when they are no longer useful. Between uses, I wrap them in aluminum foil and store them in my deep freeze. Once the brush starts to dry up in storage, it goes in the trash.
bainin
Platinum Member

Post by bainin »

Down here- we have the city dump which accepts them as household chemicals.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

I have three cans, #1 I keep mineral spirits in it. #2 I keep brush cleaner in it. #3 is an empty can, that I pour which ever cleaner I'm using into it. When finished with that cleaner. I pour it back into the original can and let the solids settle out. So that next time I can pour the clear fluid in to #3.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

Summer time I pour the used liquid into a large disposable aluminum pie plate outside and let the liquid evaporate. Fall and Winter I double line a 5 gallon bucket (that you buy from HD or Lowe’s) with plastic garage sacks, fill with kitty litter and a paper based fluid absorber. Pour in the fluid, let it dry and solidify, tie each bag. If your local garbage company allows disposal with regular garbage, then into the dumpster, otherwise a special trip to the city dump at some point. In the winter I’d probably leave it outside to keep the smell out there.
As a side note, I used to strain used liquid through a few layers of cheese cloth to reuse the liquid a time or two. Now I buy it in gallon containers and don’t worry about reusing it.
Hope that helps.

Be well,
Ben
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

I like the idea of letting it settle and decanting the clean part. Thank you for the suggestion, Beeg.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

john_001 wrote:I like the idea of letting it settle and decanting the clean part. Thank you for the suggestion, Beeg.
Realize if paint thinner, the solvent will absorb oils etc. from the paint and become less efficient. Great for cleanup use. Use fresh as a last step(replenteshes that which is lost).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
john_001
Gold Member

Post by john_001 »

That's what I figured - it'd be good for preliminary brush cleaning, but not as clean solvent anymore.