Recommendations for a wood-burning set for grandchild??

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Recommendations for a wood-burning set for grandchild??

Post by reible »

Looking for a gift idea related to a wood-burning set for a grandchild. They will be a first time user, of course, and it should be reasonably safe to use and have some functionality but not cost a lot since it might not get used much.........

I remember when I got my first one, can't recall my age but it had to be pretty young. Had a lot of fun with it but in the end I have no idea what ever happened to it. I know I no longer have it but when and if I ever had it as an adult I can not say.

It would be nice to spark an interest if even for a short while.

Lets say $25 or less, but if there would be a big reason to spend more let me know.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Re: Recommendations for a wood-burning set for grandchild??

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Check on ebay ,,wood burning kit ,,they have a lot of options now ,if your first one was like my first one ,just a plan burning tool now ya can get all sorts of attachments , letters and symbols etc.
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

GoNavy
Gold Member

Post by GoNavy »

Just got this one last week from Amazon for $27.98 + free ship, kits covers it all pretty much.... Made a BBQ wood scraper with changeable heads and needed a way to burn names (Smoker, grill thin, grill wide etc..) into the heads. Seems to be pretty good, but the tips do come loose (get a little wobbly) if you don't tighten them real good and I didn't like that there were no instructions (says it comes with, mine didn't), but comes with a case and plenty of stencils, pencils, transfer paper. Hard to tell which tips were for burning and which for soldering. Lots of You Tube vids for using it, how too etc... and the temp adjustment is pretty tiny, hard on old eyes, may be ok for young ones...lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ ... UTF8&psc=1
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

GoNavy wrote:Just got this one last week from Amazon for $27.98 + free ship, kits covers it all pretty much.... Made a BBQ wood scraper with changeable heads and needed a way to burn names (Smoker, grill thin, grill wide etc..) into the heads. Seems to be pretty good, but the tips do come loose (get a little wobbly) if you don't tighten them real good and I didn't like that there were no instructions (says it comes with, mine didn't), but comes with a case and plenty of stencils, pencils, transfer paper. Hard to tell which tips were for burning and which for soldering. Lots of You Tube vids for using it, how too etc... and the temp adjustment is pretty tiny, hard on old eyes, may be ok for young ones...lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ ... UTF8&psc=1

I went with this one from Amazon and had it sent direct to DE where he lives. Haven't seen any burning yet but maybe that will be coming one of these days.

So thanks for the reply's!

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]