Which Nova Chuck?

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

SemperFlightMedic
Bronze Member

Which Nova Chuck?

Post by SemperFlightMedic »

New turner here. I found what appears to be a good deal on a Nova G3 Chuck. I understand I’ll need a 5/8” to 1” 8tpi spindle adapter. When I look up info on the Nova G3 sku 48246 it says “Dedicated/Direct Threaded Chuck. Fits Spindle Size 1” x 8TPI only. Will Not accept Adaptor”. Given that I know nothing about these chucks, is my understanding correct in that the 5/8” - 1” x8TPI adaptor will not work with this chuck? The model number listed on the SS store is 48206. Is that the only one that will work with a Mark V/VII?

Thank you, and sorry if this was posted and answers already- looked but couldn’t find.
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Which Nova Chuck?

Post by JPG »

'Will not accept adapter' refers to it not accepting the 'universal nova' adapters.(a very large thread)

It will indeed accept a 1-8 to 5/8 plain adapter.

I suggest thee inform us as to the source of the bargain so we can verify we are talking about the same thing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SemperFlightMedic
Bronze Member

Thank you. It “was” on eBay. Someone beat me to it. $125. New open box. 30th anniversary edition. Speaking of which, what is different about the “30th” model? The included pin jaws?
Dansmith
Gold Member

Post by Dansmith »

Good thing someone beat you to it. Wrong chuck. You need the G3 without threaded insert, and then you will need the Nova ISNS 5/8" Bore Chuck Insert/Adapter. The adapter will screw right into the chuck, and then mount right on to the Shopsmith.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 30th model includes 3 jaws. Extra 100 mm jaws and pin jaws.

Adapters to fit the SS ARE available.

I like thisun.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hurricane-Tool ... 2749.l2649
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SemperFlightMedic
Bronze Member

If the chuck is 1” x 8tpi wouldn’t it fit on the 5/8”-1” 8tpi adapter? I don’t understand the difference between and “insert” and “non-insert chuck” if they each have 1” x 8tpi
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SemperFlightMedic wrote:If the chuck is 1” x 8tpi wouldn’t it fit on the 5/8”-1” 8tpi adapter? I don’t understand the difference between and “insert” and “non-insert chuck” if they each have 1” x 8tpi
YES.

An insert chuck has a very large(thread unknown) tapped hole in the base. The inserts allow mounting the chuck on to a very large selection of lathe spindle shafts.(various threads both left and right hand[and both!]).

IIUC, the 1-8 chuck is intended for use on a midi lathe which has a 1-8 spindle..

The 1-8 to 5/8 plain shaft gizmos are more accurately referred to as adapters(even Teknatool is not consistent).

https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova- ... sadaptors/
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

SemperFlightMedic
Bronze Member

Thank you. I believe I have a complete understanding now.