Remove motor sheave?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davepk13
Gold Member

Remove motor sheave?

Post by davepk13 »

Hello, I am attempting to properly lubricate and maintain my latest Shopsmith 510 before I put it to use. The floating sheave had no oil hole in it, so I removed it and am waiting for a new one from Shopsmith. Then noticed that the motor sheave was slightly rubbing against the motor. So I would like to remove it. I have removed the set screw but the sheave will not budge. I read that you want to be careful not to pry because the aluminum sheave will bend.

Any ideas how I get remove this motor sheave so that it can be inspected and/or replaced? Thank you.

Dave
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Remove motor sheave?

Post by JPG »

I am assuming you have already removed the floating sheave/spring etc..

A penetrent applied through the set screw hole and the outer end of the bore.

Soak over nite.

Prying will likely be necessary.

Just do so only close to the shaft and all the way around it.

A hard wood wedge may be useful.(see last)

If stubborn, something harder may be required.

Try lighter forces first and increase gradually until it budges.

Now how do you propose to correct the rubbing? :rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Once you get the set screw out and gently wedge off (equally applying pressure) you will find a small metal sleeve on the shaft that spaces the sheave from the motor housing keeping it from rubbing. Shopsmith sells those and you likely need a new one. Yours is worn down allowing it to rub.

Everett
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I doubt the sleeve is worn, but rather the softer sheave itself.

A 5/8" snap ring will provide a work around.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Yes, I have removed the spring and the floating sheave. I also found and removed the setscrew holding the motor sheave. There just is no way to get leverage, that I can see. I did see a video showing Jacob Anderson(Independent SS repair guy) use a wood wedge to remove the floating sheave, I will also try that with the motor sheave. Thanks for your help.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

Ok one last thought.

Secure the motor in with the shaft sticking straight up (12 o’clock)

Put some penetrating oil or a small amount of automatic transmission fluid mixed equal parts with acetone (maybe half an eye dropper full) on the center of the fan sheave you are trying to remove.

Let the acetone evaporate for 30 minutes since it’s flammable.

Put the spring back on without the idler sheave and secure it under pressure

With the motor secure, turn it on. It will rub still.

With a small rubber mallet using just your wrist gently tap the outside edge of the fan sheave you can touch, approximating the angle of the sheave.

That may Free it up. You do not want to do anything that can bend the motor armature shaft.

If it moves at all it will free up.

Use the same setup if you decide to do the wedge leaving the spring on.

You might be able to use some shim stock that you cutback and place in opposing planes (making it flat if you will) that just fits the gap.

I would use 4 sets equally sized and positioned. Working your way around using a thin block of hard wood, tap the outside of of each wedge set in working your way around. Working wedges through the aperture of the fan shroud opening and rotating the shim stock around can be awkward at best.

Since the fan sheave has seized once already I personally would replace it and dress the key and keyway on the armature with a fine whetstone on the edges.

I would spin the motor after the fan sheave and spacer are off and polish it with a small strip of crocus cloth 1000 grit or finer with a bit of oil.

Good luck and please let us know what works for you. Photos which you likely will have to scale down in size to upload here are always requested.

Kindest Regards,

Everett
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

IMG_3259.jpg
IMG_3259.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 17640 times
Yes Everett, pictures are something I CAN do!
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Here is where the set screw was.  I think I will try to add more penetrating oil and leave overnight again.
Here is where the set screw was. I think I will try to add more penetrating oil and leave overnight again.
IMG_3255 (1).jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 17637 times
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

davepk13 wrote:IMG_3255 (1).jpg
Sometimes you can repeatedly drop in penetrating oil filling the hole and then run the setscrew down on the oil forcing it into the crevices and around the shaft and key.

Take a steel drift and gently tap the key toward the motor with the setscrew out. Not so hard as to deform it, just enticing ever so slight movement. It may be all the way back already.

Yes your pictures are quite clear and very helpful.

Good Luck,

Everett
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

I don't see a spacer ring?
I don't see a spacer ring?
IMG_3911.jpg (15.78 KiB) Viewed 16858 times
Still "frozen"
Still "frozen"
IMG_3903.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 16858 times
Attachments
After 2 weeks+vacation, it finally popped!
After 2 weeks+vacation, it finally popped!
IMG_3906.jpg (46.03 KiB) Viewed 16858 times