Bandsaw blade slippage

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Bandsaw blade slippage

Post by ryanbp01 »

After changing the blade on my bandsaw and tensioning it properly the blade slips off of the wheels. I noticed that the blade works itself forward on the top wheel aftermit has been centered and turned by hand. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BPR
Dansmith
Gold Member

Re: Bandsaw blade slippage

Post by Dansmith »

This is rather intriguing in that on a regular bandsaw, it would probably be a tracking issue. But, since there is no standard tracking adjustment on the SS bandsaw, could it be the roller bearings not being in proper position??
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

1. What size blade? length?
2. are the tires clean of dirt / dust ?
3. because the blade gauge says it is tight maybe it isn't ?
4. are the tires worn out
5. dirt dust under the wheel adjustment ?
You have probably all ready checked these but it was what came to mind
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ryanbp01 wrote:After changing the blade on my bandsaw and tensioning it properly the blade slips off of the wheels. I noticed that the blade works itself forward on the top wheel aftermit has been centered and turned by hand. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BPR
The blade should NOT be centered!

The blade should ride near the inner(back) edge of the upper wheel. That positioning is controlled by the guide bearing just prior to the blade contacting the upper wheel.

If the blade does not automatically track there, the upper wheel cant is likely incorrect. The SS bandsaw wheels are NOT co-planer. The upper wheel should be canted(the top of the upper wheel leans in towards the back frame).

The SS bandsaw is unique and typical advice regarding tracking is incorrect for the ss bandsaw.

The blade should also track near the back edge of the lower wheel (the lower guide bearing controls that).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Thanks JPG! I was just following the instructions in the bandsaw manual and didn't see anything about the wheel cant. Since I do have urethane tires installed, would that also cause an issue with the blade adjustment?
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have gone through the adjustment and alignment section of the bandsaw manual and the blade still moves forward on the top wheel. The blade does not come into contact with the bearings as it should. JPG, if the wheel cant is not right, how do I adjust it? Nothing in the manual covers that.
BPR
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I know of only one procedure to do this and it is NOT universally accepted. If cant of the upper wheel is your problem it can be changed by brute force. Note I said changed. That does not necessarily mean corrected.

With the blade removed, grasp the upper wheel with two hands. One at 12:00 and one at 6:00. Give a sharp tug on the wheel pushing the top away from you and pulling the bottom toward you. Put he blade back on and check alignment/tracking.

If the problem has been corrected the blade will move back against the bearing as previously stated.

On a sample of one (my 2nd bandsaw acquisition) this worked and the bandsaw blade has continued to track properly for several years.

Please note the CORRECTION above.

Thank you Ron
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

dusty wrote:I know of only one procedure to do this and it is NOT universally accepted. If cant of the upper wheel is your problem it can be changed by brute force. Note I said changed. That does not necessarily mean corrected.

With the blade removed, grasp the upper wheel with two hands. One at 12:00 and one at 6:00. Give a sharp tug on the wheel pushing the top away from you and pulling the bottom toward you. Put he blade back on and check alignment/tracking.

If the problem has been corrected the blade will move back against the bearing as previously stated.

On a sample of one (my 2nd bandsaw acquisition) this worked and the bandsaw blade has continued to track properly for several years.
Slight correction. :) Dusty meant to say "With the blade removed, grasp the upper wheel with two hands."
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

You can check the cant by laying a metal yard stick vertically across the upper wheel and measure the gap between the yardstick and the lower wheel. It should be about 1/6".
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Thanks Dusty,
I followed your advice and it seems to have solved the problem. I wonder why this wasn't taken care of during manufacturing?
BPR