Shopsmith Mark V 500 stalling while cutting

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mwalz2
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Mark V 500 stalling while cutting

Post by mwalz2 »

So, I got a hold of a SS MK V 500 for a good price recently and have been running the accessories to test things out. While cutting some pretty soft woods with the table saw, I noticed that it was bogging down and the blade would stop while cutting. This has been true for any attachment that uses the the main arbor as well as the top accessory wheel, like the band saw. The lower wheel operates just fine and does not miss a beat when using the jointer. Seems as though my table and fence are aligned the way they should be, so the issue must be inside the headstock? Could these issues be indicative of have a worn belt somewhere?
beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Mark V 500 stalling while cutting

Post by beeg »

Clean it out of all the sawdust. Lube it up What year is it from or the serial number. NOT using an extension cord are ya?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

Likely belt issues if the lower shaft is turning and the upper one not.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Make sure that the control sheave and the floating sheave on the motor are both free to move throughout their range. If they do not move freely the belt can go slack and cause the blade to stall. Also check the tension on the Poly V belt and make sure that it is tight enough.
Bill V
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Poly-v belt slipping.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mwalz2
Bronze Member

Post by mwalz2 »

beeg wrote:Clean it out of all the sawdust. Lube it up What year is it from or the serial number. NOT using an extension cord are ya?
I will give those a try. I did use an extension cord, but I have had the same issue without. I will get back to you on the serial later today. Thank you!
mwalz2
Bronze Member

Post by mwalz2 »

garys wrote:Likely belt issues if the lower shaft is turning and the upper one not.
The upper is turning, just easily bogged down when i started cutting.
mwalz2
Bronze Member

Post by mwalz2 »

wa2crk wrote:Make sure that the control sheave and the floating sheave on the motor are both free to move throughout their range. If they do not move freely the belt can go slack and cause the blade to stall. Also check the tension on the Poly V belt and make sure that it is tight enough.
Bill V
I will check those tonight, thank you for the suggestion
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Also make sure your blade is sharp and clean.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
mwalz2
Bronze Member

Post by mwalz2 »

Serial number is 76823