Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lahola1
Gold Member

Re: Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Post by lahola1 »

after reading this I started snooping at recent members without clicking on any links.
I saw some cryptic russianlike words on several of them.
I logged out and backed out to the forum main page and this showed up as the latest post to community.
I clicked on the word community and it got me back to the latest " real" post on the lessons learned thread.
Kinda fishy!!
Attachments
screenshot-www.shopsmith.com-2019.08.13-17_25_02.png
screenshot-www.shopsmith.com-2019.08.13-17_25_02.png (39.51 KiB) Viewed 17590 times
SS Mark VII(sn 405025), SSband saw, SS 4" jointer, Older SS Mark V w/DC treadmill motor,
Smithy SuperShop 720, Powerkraft RAS,Craftsman RAS, Ridgid TS2412 Table Saw,
Delta 12" planer
Gold Member

Post by MODERATOR »

lahola1 wrote:after reading this I started snooping at recent members without clicking on any links.
I saw some cryptic russianlike words on several of them.
I logged out and backed out to the forum main page and this showed up as the latest post to community.
I clicked on the word community and it got me back to the latest " real" post on the lessons learned thread.
Kinda fishy!!
Not 'fishy' IF a 'moderator' deleted that cryptic post in between. :D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jsburger wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:Dusty, I think they are on to you!!!
Yes they are. :eek: This thread has been spammed since Dusty stared it.
Does this mean that it should be deleted? Would deleting it resolve any sort of issue?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dusty wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Never click an unknown link!
Ed, I have what I consider a "sacrificial computer" out in the shop. The woodworking files that I use there are on a flash drive which removed except when doing shop sketches. The resident hard drive contains the OS and all of the applications. When I do something like was done here, I do it on that computer which is connected to the internet via a hotspot.

Thus I think I have mitigated most of the risk associated with clicking on unknown links. If any intrusion should take place, it won't be on my main computer (this one).
Many Trojans lie dormant until they find an internet connection. By dormant I mean they copy themselves to every storage device they are exposed to but do nothing more than travel through your system or systems. Once they detect an internet connection then they launch their attack. So if you pick up a problem on your garage computer and share flash drive with your main then I can say you have an exposure.

If you ever read data from your garage computer on your main computer I can say you have exposure.

I stand by my advice never never click on an unknown link, no matter where you find it. Even a trusted friend can send you what he thinks is a harmless link that has a Trojan living in it.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

There is another new member whose profile I would like to highlight.

The post seems to be innocuous but look at the contents closely.
LindaPrien.PNG
LindaPrien.PNG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 17179 times
There are no large red flags to get you attention. But then look at the entry AOL. Still innocuous.

But where is Moldova? Just Google "Moldova map" and then tell me what you think. Is it still innocuous? Is this a malicious source just waiting as a member (LindaPrien) here on the forum for the right opportunity or is it just a visiting member who does not post (just an interested observer...of which we have many).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:
dusty wrote:
Ed in Tampa wrote:Never click an unknown link!
Ed, I have what I consider a "sacrificial computer" out in the shop. The woodworking files that I use there are on a flash drive which removed except when doing shop sketches. The resident hard drive contains the OS and all of the applications. When I do something like was done here, I do it on that computer which is connected to the internet via a hotspot.

Thus I think I have mitigated most of the risk associated with clicking on unknown links. If any intrusion should take place, it won't be on my main computer (this one).
Many Trojans lie dormant until they find an internet connection. By dormant I mean they copy themselves to every storage device they are exposed to but do nothing more than travel through your system or systems. Once they detect an internet connection then they launch their attack. So if you pick up a problem on your garage computer and share flash drive with your main then I can say you have an exposure.

If you ever read data from your garage computer on your main computer I can say you have exposure.

I stand by my advice never never click on an unknown link, no matter where you find it. Even a trusted friend can send you what he thinks is a harmless link that has a Trojan living in it.
Your advise is very sound. I agree with everything you have said or implied.

As for my shop computer...it is a standalone that is not connected to the network. When I am using it as a shop device (creating sketchups, etc) I use the flash drive. When done, the flash drive gets removed. The hotspot is what I believe provides some protection. I never access the internet from my other computers via the hotspot which provides an independent link to the internet.

Believe me. I try to be careful. I have been attacked several times in the past. Lost everything twice and then I became more cautious.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
jsburger wrote:
ChrisNeilan wrote:Dusty, I think they are on to you!!!
Yes they are. :eek: This thread has been spammed since Dusty stared it.
Does this mean that it should be deleted? Would deleting it resolve any sort of issue?
Deleting it won't help. They will just go to some other thread.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

Pretty sure that is spam - reported
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

This topic hits home with me as well , recently I made a comment on a thread on FB and it showed up on the SS group
, SS site was supposed to be a secure site,my face book page was supposed to be family and friends only , I then made a post on the SS group site and it appeared on other sites ,again post from secure sites ? I have deleted nearly all of my groups , from now on if I need to order something I will call or find some where else to order . just dont fee the need or obligation to play their games..
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Hobbyman2 wrote:This topic hits home with me as well , recently I made a comment on a thread on FB and it showed up on the SS group
, SS site was supposed to be a secure site,my face book page was supposed to be family and friends only , I then made a post on the SS group site and it appeared on other sites ,again post from secure sites ? I have deleted nearly all of my groups , from now on if I need to order something I will call or find some where else to order . just dont fee the need or obligation to play their games..
I don't believe I totally understand your comments. A post made on FB should not appear on the SS Forum unless someone deliberately brought it over (referred to it with a quote). It would be nice if you could provide post references. Same the other way around. which of your forum posts showed up on FB?

Then with regard to you comment about ordering - do realize that the forum and the SS service site (where you would place an order) are serviced by two different servers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty