Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Today's Lesson (about the forum)

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
WileyCoyote wrote:Another odd thing I noted is the number of people on this forum at any one time. It appears we had over 750 users browsing the forum yesterday just after 5:00 in the afternoon. We are breaking records with viewership everyday.
Yes, the number of viewers has been unusually large (at least the last few days) but do remember that "viewers" and "members" are two different groups of people. I just which that a much larger portion of those "viewers" would join the forum as "active members". Many of these "viewers" undoubtedly have much to offer as woodworkers to this forum.
If those 'viewers' are potential spammers, I would prefer they do NOT become members! :eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
WileyCoyote wrote:Another odd thing I noted is the number of people on this forum at any one time. It appears we had over 750 users browsing the forum yesterday just after 5:00 in the afternoon. We are breaking records with viewership everyday.
Yes, the number of viewers has been unusually large (at least the last few days) but do remember that "viewers" and "members" are two different groups of people. I just which that a much larger portion of those "viewers" would join the forum as "active members". Many of these "viewers" undoubtedly have much to offer as woodworkers to this forum.
If those 'viewers' are potential spammers, I would prefer they do NOT become members! :eek:
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree but how does one know when a viewer is "going to be" up to no good. I would not like to see potential active members banned for no good reason.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:
JPG wrote:
dusty wrote:
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree but how does one know when a viewer is "going to be" up to no good. I would not like to see potential active members banned for no good reason.
There is no reason to ban viewers (potential active members). They can't post spam until they become registered members. If they become registered and spam they should be banned. The problem is if they still want to spam they just create another account. Of course some of this is not real people typing on a key board. There are robots out there creating accounts all over the net. Some sites have a check box that says "I am not a robot". You have to check it to create an account. I have no idea if that actually works or not.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Here is the profile from the latest member.
Screenshot_2019-08-17 Shopsmith Forums -- Sharing Information About Woodworking and Shopsmith Tools.png
Screenshot_2019-08-17 Shopsmith Forums -- Sharing Information About Woodworking and Shopsmith Tools.png (41.21 KiB) Viewed 16778 times
They are obviously a spammer. It should be banned before they post.

Someone just spammed this thread as I am posting this.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
WileyCoyote
Gold Member

Post by WileyCoyote »

Is the registration approval automatic or does a real person have to authorize access to the forum? Seems to me if someone looked at this request it would be denied immediately.
I don't think most of the 750 people are just viewing the forum. once had 1/3 of that prior to the last two weeks and usually much fewer.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

WileyCoyote wrote:Is the registration approval automatic or does a real person have to authorize access to the forum? Seems to me if someone looked at this request it would be denied immediately.
I don't think most of the 750 people are just viewing the forum. once had 1/3 of that prior to the last two weeks and usually much fewer.
Exactly!! We have never had that many "viewers" ever. The largest number I remember was 366 many years ago. That was way higher than normal and no spam. The "Moderators" are doing a great job but this is getting out of hand. It seems like the spammers have found a vulnerable site and are taking advantage of it.

Argh!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Here is the newest member.
Screenshot_2019-08-17 Shopsmith Forums -- Sharing Information About Woodworking and Shopsmith Tools(1).png
Screenshot_2019-08-17 Shopsmith Forums -- Sharing Information About Woodworking and Shopsmith Tools(1).png (35.74 KiB) Viewed 16678 times
Another BOT. There has to be a way to stop this..

ADMIN!!!
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Has Admin made some changes to reduce the amount of SPAM? There used to be 4 BOTs listed on the home page as registered users. Now there are only two. If so I hope it helps.

"Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jsburger"
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

WHAT? The number of registered BOTS has gone down while the number of spammers has gone up. Where is the connection.

The BOTS that you have seen registered on the forum were market research BOTS. They were not spammers if that is the thought.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:WHAT? The number of registered BOTS has gone down while the number of spammers has gone up. Where is the connection.

The BOTS that you have seen registered on the forum were market research BOTS. They were not spammers if that is the thought.
The number of registered BOTs just went down TODAY. The SPAM has been BEFORE today. There has been no SPAM today. I get email notices of all the new posts to the forum as soon as the posts occur. No SPAM today. First time in a while. I totally understand the purpose of the former registered BOTs but maybe one or the other were compromised by the SPAMER's and are contributing to the problem.

All I am doing is asking a question that maybe someone smarter than me might have some insight into.

Do you know why they are gone?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT