I know what I want to build yet this year!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

I know what I want to build yet this year!

Post by reible »

How about a dishing fixture for a router! I have wanted one of these for maybe 30 years now. I have a router book showing the idea but as with a lot of things I never got from the "I love it!" to "lets cut some wood".

I don't see me ever doing the project shown here but jig is the feature to look for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... J82IVbkXBc

Potential layout for the project that will be cut with the SO.
ScreenHunter 168.jpg
ScreenHunter 168.jpg (159.61 KiB) Viewed 21548 times
See if I can manage to go out and get the material this coming week.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
bainin
Platinum Member

Re: I know what I want to build yet this year!

Post by bainin »

I'm terrible with the modelling software-like sketchup.

I envy you guys who can get it on paper before you start cutting :)
sehast
Gold Member

Post by sehast »

Ed, it looks like a great project for the SO. Look forward to seeing your progress on this. Do you have a project in mind once you have the dishing fixture complete?
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I'm in the same position. I do my woodworking only in the Winter when the cold weather arrives, and so far I don't have any projects lined up yet. Right now I'm still in Summer mode and trying to keep up with my outdoor work. It is just about time to pick the apples and start cranking out another year's supply of cider so I'm not into starting up the Shopsmith just yet. Maybe by the time I get that outdoor work done, I will have my woodworking plans in place.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I've made a few things where this would have really been nice to have, one was a collection box for a church and the other a built in dish for keys and other stuff out of ones pocket. In both cases I resort to using the lathe to do the dish. In the case of the collection box it was small enough that I could turn the whole top. The other case called for a routed hole in a piece then inserting the turned bowl in that hole.

I do have two projects that I have been thinking about where this might be the ticket, one is a Christmas project with several copies that I have though about turning but the router might be a fun different way to go. The other is an out door project and the "dish" is not round but more of a rectangle that would not be something easy to turn. I was thinking of making it in 3 pieces, the center with the hollowed portion the sides without.

Anyway I figure this will run in the neighborhood of $60 to make so I hope it gets more use then the projects I have lined up as of now.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got out shopping to day. Rockler happened to have some 30" x 60" sheets of plywood on sale. A different size then expected but still couldn't beat the price of $29.99. I got two sheets just to be covered, or in case I messed up. Should be able to start cutting tomorrow.

The new layout looks like this:
ScreenHunter 178.jpg
ScreenHunter 178.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 21299 times
Only have a couple of hours free so unlikely I will get more then some of it cut out. Also have some time set aside on Friday so I'll get closer but still need a bit more time to get it all cut.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Parts are all cut out but then there is sanding and getting things to fit so no quite there yet.
parts.jpg
parts.jpg (159.34 KiB) Viewed 21157 times
Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Decided to do a test to make sure the parts all fit before I possibly wasted time sanding. They did.
dish jig test fit.jpg
dish jig test fit.jpg (142.26 KiB) Viewed 21081 times
Have it back apart for another day when I will start the sanding and maybe get to assembly.

Ed
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

reible wrote:Decided to do a test to make sure the parts all fit before I possibly wasted time sanding. They did.

dish jig test fit.jpg

Have it back apart for another day when I will start the sanding and maybe get to assembly.

Ed
Very nice. Was the SO ever in doubt?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

I’m impressed! For projects like this, having a SO looks kind of like having a really big 3D printer.