Jig saw with power station questions

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Lifter
Bronze Member

Jig saw with power station questions

Post by Lifter »

Found a SS jig saw with its own power station for sale and i am considering picking it up. The model is 505644, but the power station it is mounted on doesn’t look like any images I’ve seen posted on here, doesn’t have a separate model number, and I have never seen one in person.
Main question is are there more than one power stations from SS. The motor is 1/2 hp and rated at 1750 rpms. Did SS sell the jig saw as a stand alone option? It appears the only way to adjust speed is using the different pulleys on output shaft.
https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/flo ... 29021.html

To see it in person is about a 2 hour drive, and I really want it for the power station. Is the price right?
Help
Thanks Scott
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: Jig saw with power station questions

Post by jsburger »

Lifter wrote:Found a SS jig saw with its own power station for sale and i am considering picking it up. The model is 505644, but the power station it is mounted on doesn’t look like any images I’ve seen posted on here, doesn’t have a separate model number, and I have never seen one in person.
Main question is are there more than one power stations from SS. The motor is 1/2 hp and rated at 1750 rpms. Did SS sell the jig saw as a stand alone option? It appears the only way to adjust speed is using the different pulleys on output shaft.

To see it in person is about a 2 hour drive, and I really want it for the power station. Is the price right?
Help
Thanks Scott
The stand is a SS Power Stand not a SS Power Station. The power station has a Reeves variable speed drive just like the SS head stock. The Power Stands were single speed depending on the pulleys supplied/used. There were different model numbers of the Power Stand depending on what SPT they were to be used with (belt sander, jointer, band saw, planed, etc.). The stands were all the same. The reason they had different part numbers was because the included pulleys were different depending on the SPT that was to be driven. All had a 1/2HP motor except for the stand to mount the SS mount planer. It had a 1 1/2HP motor.

I would not want a jig saw on a power stand since it is essentially single speed unless you change the pulleys. Jig saws are run at various speeds depending on the blade used among other things. I would not want a jig saw on a stand that you have to change the pulleys to change the speed. The jig saw should be on a variable speed SS Power Station or of course the SS itself.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Jig saw with power station questions

Post by rpd »

Lifter wrote:Found a SS jig saw with its own power station for sale and i am considering picking it up. The model is 505644, but the power station it is mounted on doesn’t look like any images I’ve seen posted on here, doesn’t have a separate model number, and I have never seen one in person.

Help
Thanks Scott
That would be a "Special Purpose Tool Power Stand #513963"

Manual at this link. https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/4f27e3 ... 8120528918
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,